Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
YOUR LATEST RARE VHS PUCHASES; A.K.A The penis measuring thread
Topic Started: Jun 5 2008, 06:23 PM (347,707 Views)
WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
The Japanese VHS release of CROSS OF THE 7 JEWELS is indeed in English (albeit with Jap subs, obviously). It is also fully letterboxed and uncut (albeit with the token fogging of genitalia in some scenes!). In many ways, a far better print to own than the equally rare German video release that MANIC ENTERTAINMENT put out...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
The only 2 releases i know of for CROSS OF THE SEVEN JEWELS were the German video release and Japanese video release. The only German video release i am aware of it having was put out by the now-defunct 'Manic Entertainment', the same people who released my friend's SICK-O-PATHICS around the same time. I take it your video is that release and not some alternate German release i am unaware of?
'Manic Entertainment' released the film uncut and in English but i believe it was fullscreen (or maybe only very slightly letterboxed), correct? I'm pretty sure i have a DVD-R of their old tape somewhere. The Japanese release was fully letterboxed from what i have been told and uncut, but optically fogged. Quality is superior also.
Let us not forget that the film was later re-edited and re-released under the title of TALISMAN many years later also, which i think had at least an American video release at some point...

As for that EYE OF FIRE video original, it looks like an intriguing film. Can't say i have ever heard of it before!
I agree with you 100% about simple visual FX methods being effective even if a little dated in these times when utilized. Some of the films that Mike Murphy made that we will be releasing through SARCOPHILOUS used older methods due to budget constraints and other factors. I think that when a film tries to be modern, cool and stylish on a tiny budget and uses cheap CGi, it is alot worse than watching a film that is shot to capture the feel/tone of an old 1960s Harryhausen-style flick and that opts to use the old methods for FX such as stop-motion or scratching the negative to produce visual FX. I think that is a film has a decent script and alot of passion that the primitive FX methods used often merge with the flavour and tone of the film and we overlook the primitive nature of how they were achieved, instead appreciating the efforts the filmmakers have gone to. This is certainly true of many of Mike's films, especially ATLANTIS which is full of old-style visual FX methods such as scratched/coloured negative, split-screen and other primitive techniques that not only add to the delirious flavour of the film but also actually work in a charming way that fits the film. Add to that gore, raunch and a nutty script and you have plenty to sink you teeth into and the crude methods used become irrelevant!
I may have to nab a copy of EYE OF THE FIRE from you at some point in the future!

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Regarding METAMORPHOSIS and the reason for the use of the number 2 on the Japanese video sleeve...this was because originally the film was announced as a sequel to THE DEADLY SPAWN. During production on what was essentially an unofficial and unrelated sequel, they decided to move away from the idea of "DEADLY SPAWN 2: THE ALIEN FACTOR" and stand on their own two feet, opting for the title of "METAMORPHOSIS: THE ALIEN FACTOR". This has been used as the title at times and the film has also been released as simply "METAMORPHOSIS" and also "THE ALIEN FACTOR"...

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
PANNA A NETVOR is indeed a nice find!
I have a DVD version of this one and it is a typically enchanting Czech fantasy with dark, surreal elements.
Not sure what your tape will be like for watching this film for the first time...but may as well!

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
A bigger scan of that Sunrise tape of ANGEL AND THE BEASTS would be nice please! Always got a soft spot (?!) for nice artwork of women in chains...lol

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Nice to see someone else with a video original of SICK-O-PATHICS finally! :D
My good friend Massimo made the film, along with Brigida Costa...and that is Massimo on the sleeve as 'Max O'Keest' (a play on words...both a nod to Miles O'Keefe and also the word 'masochist', of course! lol)

You watched it yet Marco?

I spoke with Massimo last year about releasing this on our label and it is a virtual definite it will happen so long as we keep the releases coming. With great bonus features!

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Is that tape of WALK THE LINE the Johnny Cash film, but with XXX inserts?
:P

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Wow...FINALLY someone else finds that HUNTING GROUND tape! Congrats!
I had that German release for a few years and never once saw another tape of it all that time. I eventually sold mine to 'Kenneth M', although i wouldn't have if it were not for the fact i needed to pay bills at the time or buy stuff for Xmas or something like that.

I had not even seen an image of the sleeve for this release on that German website dedicated to every German video release. Great print quality too. Only slightly cut by a second or two in the hot poker scene...
Are you aware that it is a reversible sleeve? If not, opening that sucker up and have a good look at the double-sided artwork! I only discovered that was the case when i was scanning the sleeve for myself prior to sending the tape to 'Kenneth M'. Took it out to scan it and discovered totally different artwork on the reverse! Sweeeeeeeet!

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
I still have some old Eastern Heroes and MIHK tapes boxed up here if you are wanting them? The MIHK tapes are mint as the day bought and the Eastern Heroes ones were bought second-hand but are in great shape. Trying to think what titles i still have though...

PRISON ON FIRE (on 'MIHK' label) (small-box sell-thru release)
A CHINESE GHOSTY STORY (on 'MIHK' label) (small-box sell-thru release)
CITY ON FIRE (on 'MIHK' label) (big-box rental release)
KUNG-FU ZOMBIE (on 'Eastern Heroes' label) (has a faint videoshop address/logo stamped on sleeve) (small-box sell-thru release)
LETHAL PANTHER 2 (on 'Eastern Heroes' label) (timecoded screener) (small-box sell-thru release)
ENCOUNTERS OF THE SPOOKY KIND 2 (on 'Eastern Heroes' label) (timecoded screener) (small-box sell-thru release)

I believe i may have one other Eastern Heroes release and maybe one or two at the most other MIHK sell-thru releases also. I also have a dozen or two Redemption video releases in mint condition, some Salvation releases and some Exploited (David Gregory and Carl Daft's old label) and Screen Edge releases...

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
The German release MAGDALENA, if i recall, is slightly trimmed of some dialogue whereas the English version is apparently missing something due to cuts. A Japanese version also has issues (probably optical censoring) if i recall correctly. So, the best option is to get the English print and make a composite using footage from one of the others i guess...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · VHS / Beta / Video2000 · Next Topic »
Add Reply