Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
YOUR LATEST RARE VHS PUCHASES; A.K.A The penis measuring thread
Topic Started: Jun 5 2008, 06:23 PM (347,639 Views)
Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Okay, Lars, here's to prove to you that I've got the bigger schlong:

Posted Image

JUNGLE HEAT
Posted Image

A LIFE OF NINJA (1983) Tso Nam Lee
Posted Image

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
HalloweenNight
Jun 17 2008, 11:17 AM
nice jack j. reminds me of a cambodian horror i watched.

Thanks. Which one would that be?

Michael Gustavsson

nice Jack J

Cheers.

I'm quite happy with them all not least GUZOO which I got a bad 5th generation copy of back in the very early days when Western splatter fans were just beginning to discover the Asian splatter movies. Nobody know anything about this except it was very gory. And weird. And it probably still is, I haven't watched it since back then (which is at least 15 yrs ago!). GUZOO is directed by Kazuo 'Gaira' Komizu who also did the Entrails of a Beautiful Woman + Entrails of a Virgin, and of course Living Dead in Tokyo Bay. And as far as I know it has never been released outside of Japan and never on dvd, and needless to say the vhs is rare.

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
cinehound
Jul 11 2008, 09:46 PM
videohunter
Jul 11 2008, 05:53 PM
horrorC.K.
Jul 11 2008, 05:43 PM

Got myself a tape from Video Dynamic settled in Adliya, Bahrain with English language and Japanese subs!

video dynamic tapes r bootlegs

Yes, bootlegs, but still very nice. They were made in Sweden by a collector, recorded by his Japanese laserdiscs! That's why the Japanese subtitles.

I have ZOMBI 3 on vhs. The print is from the Japanese version, on the back it says "Bahrain". I always figured that this was not made in Bahrain but somewhere else and my bet was that it was a bootleg from Sweden (the company that made the cassette had a Swedish phone number). Is this the same guy?? Do you know?? The company was also behind another Fulci title (I forget which one).

Jack

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
cinehound
Jul 12 2008, 12:33 AM
Yes, the same. The had some Fulci titles like ZOMBI 3, DEMONIA, THE GHOSTS OF SODOM...

Now I remember, it was DEMONIA I also saw! How did you find out it was someone in Sweden, did/do you know him? (was it Linus or Lova? :lol: :lol: ).

Jack

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
I don't know if I said it yesterday between the "So now you're gonna eat peanut-butter sandwiches for the next two months" lines ... but CONGRATS!!!

Jack

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Are the prints the same? How about dubbing?

Jack

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
I've bought more rare tapes than this recently (and probably much more rare) but I thought I'd show this one as I really like the cover. Afaik this is only out on dvd in the US and that cover is no-way nearly as cool as this one (which is the Japanese vhs as if you didn't already know, lol):

Posted Image

Jack

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
videohunter
Jul 22 2008, 04:32 PM
very nice jack, i see u really like collecting japan tapes now...  B)

Thanks. Once again I got lucky: I was the only bidder!

And yes, you're right. But the thing is I'm probably a different kind of Japanese tape collector than the rest of you. I really like the artwork and that's why I bought a tape like this Fulci one but my predominate interest in Japanese tapes comes from these films being unreleased on dvd.

I'm into many genres but films like giallo and American horror I can usually get on dvd in prima versions so there's no need to buy those on tape from Japan. But films like trashy war movies from the Philippines :o they just don't exist on dvd. The only way of getting them is mostly via vhs from Japan and Greece. Unless you wanna go down the bootleg road which I don't mind but I'd rather have an original release. And my apologies to everyone Greek but Greek tapes often look, hmm, how shall I say this gently... picture quality wise they're just not very good. They often have that foggy look to them, whereas Japanese tapes almost always (at least the ones I've seen) look fantastic!

For quite a few years I've had the Danish JUNGLE VIRGIN FORCE in my collection. Nice picture but it's typical vhs quality + fullscreen. Then I found out the Greek vhs was letterboxed and bought it from Deathland (Bill). Well, nice vhs and all. But although the picture is lbx it's still got that slightly foggy look to it. So I bought it on Japanese vhs (a certain person in Japan was so nice as to give me a second offer when I lost out to someone else on the tape's auction last week :D ) and... whoa... again, the picture quality beats the Greek one by far... AND I discover it's much more letterboxed!

So that's my interest in Japanese tapes. It's more from a practical perspective than that of a collector of Japanese tapes. BUT... hmm... having said that I must admit I think I'm being slowly sucked into the collecting part as well :lol:

I mean, I made a bid for another Indo film yesterday even tho I already have Mondo Macabro's dvd. Simply cos it would be nice to have in the collection (I'm not gonna get it tho, already too expensive). So I think my collecting Japanese tapes now is both because I can't get them on dvd but also just as a collector (without thinking about whether I need the tape in order to be able to watch the film in question or not). However, if I already have a film and there's a nice dvd then I won't pay too much for it. For instance yesterday I broke off bidding for THE DEVIL simply because it became too expensive seeing that I already have the dvd. If I hadn't had the dvd I would've kept bidding.

And something else, we've talked about this before: you're a vhs man, VH, and that's fine, I respect that fully, but even though I'm an avid vhs collector I (in contrast to you) don't mind dvd. Yes, there are films that look too good and polished on dvd like Evil Dead but aside from those exceptions the dvd quality is mostly (not always) better than old foggy video tapes.

Oh, and there's a bit of a controversy here at the moment: AWE just released ZOMBI 3 and the version they put out has inserts from a video tape (I could imagine it's the same version that is released from Media Blasters in the US but I haven't seen either so I can't comment on that) and, well, that's just not good enough. I spoke to one guy who was really pissed off and sold off the dvd immediatedly. Haha. He even went so far as to saying my bootleg vhs from Bahrain Video looks better than the dvd. A bit of a sidetrack there. But yes, Joe, I collect more Japanese now. Mainly Indo, Filipino, and dark Hong Kong horror :D

Jack

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
That's a very good point!!! :huh: :huh:
I don't get it either! Maaaybe it's because more people are only collectors of rare tapes and not genuine fans of Indo movies. They are rare so they collect. They are the latest fad on the collector scene right now. Sad for those of us who actually like the films.

And I saw that auction and I made a couple of bids for it myself but decided to stop since Lefteris' description of it (at his site) was a bit vague. I'll get the boot at some stage instead.

Jack

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
videohunter
Aug 11 2008, 05:41 PM
also keep in mind....countries like JAPAN and the USA , VHS tapes have been available for sale and rent since the beginning of video with the exception of some WARNER BROS releases and PONY/CANYON releases in JAPAN and TIME LIFE and FOTOMAT releases in the USA to name a few....

Some of the Japanese tapes I have say "for sale or rent" on the back. Does this mean all tapes from Japan were both for sale and rent? What I mean is: didn't they make different version for sell-thru and for rental?

If that's the case it's very different from Denmark (and probably the rest of Europe) where the ex-rental tapes are of a much better quality than the sell-thru tapes simply because they were made to be watched hundreds of times whereas the tape thickness of a sell-thru is much thinner as it would only be made to be watched by the one person who bought it. So, VH, does this mean that the sell-thru/rental tapes from Japan were all of the more thick tape quality??

Jack

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · VHS / Beta / Video2000 · Next Topic »
Add Reply