Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
YOUR LATEST RARE VHS PUCHASES; A.K.A The penis measuring thread
Topic Started: Jun 5 2008, 06:23 PM (347,741 Views)
Stephen Gladwin
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
To Canisius:

Any chance you could scan the full-size sleeves for GIALLO A VENEZIA, BESTIALITA, L'ASSASSINO E ANCORA TRA NOI and THE VICTIM? Those sleeves are just too good to pass up! And great acquisitions, by the way! I'm drooling!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stephen Gladwin
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Well, here's the Japanese VHS release I just received of the obscure 1984 US horror film EYES OF FIRE!

This film is a real curio. I haven't even seen it in the usual rare video dealers' catalogs. It's just the type of horror film I love: a neglected gem that somehow fell between the cracks and is worthy of a DVD release. Sure, it's not PERFECT (in fact in some places, far from it), but the period detail and atmosphere is superb (especially considering the budget) and when the chills matter, it delivers. Clearly some research into the revolutionary US time period had been conducted, and the European accents seem quite authentic. It also has a wonderfully haunting, dreamy and eerie atmosphere that just slowly grows that really got under my skin like few films. Some have complained of the dodgy optical effects (basically, the use of negative film techniques during the "spirit invasion" scenes) but I thought they were effective in a simple way, and a real breath of fresh air compared to the bloated CG goliaths that glut the screens today. And the makeup effects of the souls trapped in the trees were VERY effective and jolting. Plus it's got a great pseudo-experimental score by the great Brad Fiedel (composer of the TERMINATOR films' soundtracks).

Now for the pics:

The box: *Hey, what's that video placemat beneath the VHS? Why, it's the old Midnight Video Collector's Catalogue #18!

Posted Image
By sgladwin, shot with DMC-LS70 at 2008-11-12

The sleeve: Yeah it has some wrinkling due to water damage, but the price sure was right ($4!) and the tape itself is in very good condition and plays GREAT! The image has been scaled down to fit the forums. If anyone wants the original full-res, full-size sleeve, email me:)

Posted Image
By sgladwin at 2008-11-12

Stephen Gladwin
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Just got this one in from Japan today. Resonator knows this tape well:)

Here is the box and tape:

Posted Image
By sgladwin, shot with DMC-LS70 at 2008-11-13

Sleeve:

Posted Image
By sgladwin at 2008-11-13

Stephen Gladwin
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Hey - Does anyone know if that Japanese SPASMS VHS release is any more complete than the usual US release? I'm looking to pick this flick up and I'd like the most complete version available.

Thanks!

Stephen Gladwin
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
MY GOD VH! I am stunned. I, like everyone else on the board, am STUNNED that you found this one! I thought Bill Knight was the only one who had this as it was only a "test" release or something. Congratulations!

*I'm sure I speak for everyone on this board when I ask if there is any way you could scan this sleeve full-size (300 dpi preferably). Of all the Japanese VHS sleeves, THIS is the one I'd love to have!

Stephen Gladwin
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Resonator posted this one awhile back, but now I have a copy of my very own! Love the cover and the film (released on DVD here as METAMORPHOSIS: THE ALIEN FACTOR) is a great throwback to 50s monsters movies, but updated with eye-popping creature effects (think THE THING with some great Harryhausen-esque stop motion thrown in for good measure) and gore! And to quote Chas Balun, it doesn't have "flashy camerawork or a hotshit, self-referential script." It's just good fun!

*I WOULD post a full-size scan of the sleeve, but this one came in one of those unique Japanese top-loading VHS boxes that doesn't allow easy access to the sleeve. **Does anyone here know what the purpose of this design is? Was it for video rental stores? I'm guessing they kept the box out for display and the tape (with its clear plastic slipcase) behind the counter when the customer rented it (for security purposes). Anyone know?

Posted Image

Stephen Gladwin
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
At long last! A tape I've always wanted (KILLER sleeve art!). Yeah, I know most of you have seen this one (or already have it!) but I'm so happy, I just had to post it! If anyone wants the full-size sleeve, email me!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stephen Gladwin
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Quote:

Although not in Original Nikkatsu Box and sunfaded

Resonator, AKA "Mr. Killjoy." You must be a gas at parties :P

Stephen Gladwin
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Quote:

It's a cultural thing wink.gif . In English 'we' don't criticise something that someone enthusiastically tells you he has just obtained/done/experienced. Continental Europeans are more direct and sometimes comes off as being rude when in fact they're not even trying to be. In Euro-land, usually both the speaker and the receiver understands this directness whereas someone who's English (or as in your case from the colonies laugh.gif ) will see it as overly critical. Multi-cultural boards is a difficult thing.

How INTERESTING you mention this Jack! I was not offended at all with resonator's statement (it's only the truth). In fact, I was being sarcastic with my reply "killjoy" statement.

I think you are partially right about the "European directness" thing. But you must understand that the US, like many countries, is diverse and culture changes (sometimes slightly, sometimes drastically) depending on the region.

I noticed this first-hand when I moved from New England (Northeastern US) to Texas (the Southwest). I'm more used to what you would call the Continental European approach to conversation: no nonsense, no bullshit. That's what people are like in New England (New England really is the closest to Europe culturally because of the history, of course). I much prefer it actually. Why waste time being "polite" when you know you're just blowing smoke up each other's ass?

So when I came to Texas with my New England attitude I instantly came across as pushy, rude, and cold. Here in Texas they sure pour on the syrup nice and thick and I hate it. Everyone has the thinnest skin and it's like walking on eggshells to not hurt someone's feelings :angry: Misunderstandings abound, which can get you in big trouble at your workplace!

Plus you can't goof around with anyone in Texas (or, as we say in New England, "busting each other's balls!") so it's really boring. The conversation isn't anywhere near as stimulating since you're limited to the same 10 plastic/fake pleasantries.

I think it has to do with history, and how young so much of the US is compared to other countries. If you consider the US as a young man, and Europe and Asia as older men, I think this is a good analogy. The young US is naive, idealistic and easily amused, whereas the older Europe is wiser, having felt more pain and suffering. Europe has been through countless wars, natural disasters, plagues, etc. It has learned that life isn't ALL happiness and, most importantly, has realized that life DOESN'T HAVE TO BE ALL ABOUT FUN. In fact, taking the bad with the good in life makes life much deeper and richer. It builds character, and Europe smokes a lot of the US in the character department. Most of America still hasn't learned that because the country hasn't "grown up" through painful experience. Sure, we were in the World Wars, but in a limited way. I mean, the War didn't come to US, we went to the war. Our cities weren't bombed halfway to hell and citizens didn't fear for their lives and we certainly weren't under the direct terror of the holocaust or anything of that magnitude. Yes we had Vietnam (is it any surprise that this era spawned some of the best American art?), but that was just ONE conflict. We still have a lot of growing up to do. How else can you explain the crazy priorities of most Americans: SUVs, housing loans that can't be afforded, credit card debt, rampant consumerism, plastic surgery* "big/more is better" mentality, etc. And most of America hasn't learned that YOU CAN'T BUY CHARACTER OR STYLE! You earn it through history, suffering, introspection, and challenges.

But again I must say that New England is a blessed exception to a lot of the above, and I think it's because New England is the oldest part of the country. It's got more history, more human experience.

One last thing: My one friend here in Texas has a German girlfriend. He just got back from Germany and said that the Germans will definitely NOT laugh at something unless they have a good reason to! I like that. I like that Europeans aren't the "hooray for everything" obnoxious type we often get in most parts of the States.

Maybe if I lived in Europe people wouldn't call me cynical and negative all the time! Or tell me to smile more! :unsure:

*Speaking of plastic/cosmetic surgery, I remember a German history professor of mine in college (she was German) asking the class in puzzlement why Americans are obsessed with having perfectly straight, pearly white teeth! She was amazed how we would gladly shell out big cash just to have PERFECT, blindingly white teeth! I thought that was a great observation of how juvenile this country can be :D

Stephen Gladwin
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
SE-GAAAAA!

Posted Image

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · VHS / Beta / Video2000 · Next Topic »
Add Reply