Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Cannibal Mercenary
Topic Started: Jun 14 2008, 10:48 PM (3,803 Views)
videohunter
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Jack J
Aug 6 2008, 06:02 AM
http://www.cinema-de-bizarre.com/catalog/i...602/6073402.htm

I noticed he's also got stuff that's very easy to get hold of on legit dvd. He's even got stuff that's out on Mondo Macabro dvd! Not so good if you ask me.

Jack

does anyone know the guy who runs that site ?, is he a member here ?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Member-X
Dec 22 2008, 03:22 PM
So is there a fully uncut and official dvd out?

The only official dvd I'm aware of is the cut German one. I got a fairly good looking uncut boot from a UK bootlegger but it's off a video tape.
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Every review that I have seen of CANNIBAL MERCENARY states that the reviewer only knows of two versions of the film; the cut/re-edited German dvd and the uncut US vhs. However, yesterday I discovered that there is also a vcd from Thailand!!

Posted Image

Unfortunately, it's way outta print and although I must've spent an hour trying to find it I came up with zilch! :( :(

The only place I found a scan of the cover was at eThaiCD.com but I'm not gonna hold my breath till they get it re-stocked (they never do in Thailand cos there's so much new stuff coming out ALL the time. Movies from the 1990s are considered "old" movies!!).

However, I though I'd just ask around if anybody's got the vcd? It would be cool to compare it to the US version as that one clocks in after 103 minutes and the Thai store mentions a running time of 107 minutes. Obviously I know very well it's most likely to be an incorrect running time but it would be nice to find out just in case!! So, has anyone here got it???

The English title of the vcd by the way is Employ For Die and interestingly enough I noticed that someone on a German message board said it's a sequel to CANNIBAL MERCENARY but on eThaiCD.com's site there's a whole heap of screen grabs from the film and it's most definitely the same film. Maybe that German person thought it was a different film using some of the same footage because he's only used to the German dvd (which has re-shot footage by that crook Thomas Thang, haha).

You can see the screen shots here:

http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=6219
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines

Kiba
Member Avatar
[ * ]
I got the VCD. The running time is about 90 minutes.

Interesting. Didn't know that this one is Cannibal Mercenary (well, partly ;)).
Haven't watched it completly, but as far as I remember the image quality isn't very good. A lot of flickering, which makes it very hard to watch...

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Kiba
Jan 13 2009, 01:49 AM
I got the VCD. The running time is about 90 minutes.

Interesting. Didn't know that this one is Cannibal Mercenary (well, partly ;)).
Haven't watched it completly, but as far as I remember the image quality isn't very good. A lot of flickering, which makes it very hard to watch...

Very cool you've got it! It only runs 90 min??? Weird. All the screen grabs on the page I linked to are in my version. Maybe they are the same film but the Thai version is just heavily censored.

So the quality is bad, eh? Well, Thai vcd's aren't the best. But it's fun to have discovered that there is another version than just the German dvd and the US vhs. By the way, do you have the uncut Cannibal Mercenary?

Kiba
Member Avatar
[ * ]
No, I haven't seen Cannibal Mercenary or got any version of it.

As far as I know Cannibal Mercenary is a combination of the thai movie and new scenes produces by Filmark, so a shorter running time of the VCD makes sense.

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Kiba
Jan 14 2009, 09:53 PM
No, I haven't seen Cannibal Mercenary or got any version of it.

As far as I know Cannibal Mercenary is a combination of the thai movie and new scenes produces by Filmark, so a shorter running time of the VCD makes sense.

No it's not. Thomas Thang and Filmark took that film and changed it that's true but the US video contains the uncut unchanged version, not the Filmark version.

The altered Filmark version is the one that is released on German dvd. It has new scenes of some Westerners and has the gore censored.

This is what Spannick (also a member here) wrote about it on OFDb:

Quote:

Die Deutsche Fassung ist eine vom Filmark für den Exportmarkt komplett überarbeitete Version und hat kaum noch etwas mit dem Originalfilm zu tun!
es fehlen ca. 40 min des Originalfilms - dafür wurden neue Szenen mit irgendwelchen Typen gedreht, die auch schon in etlichen der Filmark Ninja Filme dabei waren.
Desweiteren fehlen eigentlich alle brutaleren Szenen in der Astro-Fassung.
die 83 min Fassung, die hier in Deutschland zu sehen ist, kann in keinem Fall auch nur ein ansatzweise mit der Originalfassung des Films verglichen werden, da nur noch gut 50% des Original übrig sind...

I have no idea why the Thai vcd is shorter. Maybe it got censored in its home-country.

Also from OFDb about the two versions (my apologies to those of you who don't read German)

Quote:

Bemerkungen:
die einzige mir bekannte ungeschnittene Fassung dieses kruden Spektakels, Länge ca. 105 Minuten. Leider in Vollbild (das originale Lbx Format wäre 2,35:1).

Hinweis:
Die deutsche DVD von Astro enthält den Film nur in einer 83 minütigen internationalen Schnittfassung, Handlung und Action sind stark cut. Als Entschädigung gibt's dafür eine halbe Stunde dumme Ami-Hackfressen auf Schatzsuche, völlig losgelöst von der eigendlichen Handlung (vergleiche hierzu auch den Hongkong-Film CALAMITY OF SNAKES bzw. dessen US-Version SNAKE INFERNO) Immerhin in Lbx 1.66:1, was laut Astro auch schon das höchste der Gefühle sein soll, da das Origialmaterial angeblich verschollen ist.

Kiba
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Ah okay. I thought the US VHS is the Filmark version. Are there any other releases of the Filmark version, except the german DVD?

Some screenshots from the thai VCD:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Notice the red and blue lines. These lines are wandering from the bottom to the top - the whole movie!

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Of all the reviews I have read none of them have mentioned any other versions than the German dvd and the US vhs. But obviously that doesn't mean that there aren't any but if there are I haven't come across them. But of course, it would be weird if the Germans would be the only ones to release that cut & paste version.

And thanks for the scans.

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
The NTSC tape is on eBay now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-MERCENARY-aka-...ASS%3AUS%3A1123

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Asian Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply