Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Laserdisc players
Topic Started: Jun 21 2008, 02:28 PM (2,900 Views)
Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
We got talking 'bout laserdisc players over in the introduce yourself thread so I thought I'd move it over here instead.

To sum it up; Miltos and Eddie just said LD players are deleted, you can't buy new ones, but they're fairly cheap on eBay (in the US anyway).

So if I buy one, is there a PAL/NTSC issue as well? Do some players only play PAL or NTSC, or do they all play both systems?

And why am I even asking about LD player? Well, cos there's actually quite a few films (not least HK films) that are out on LD but have never come out on dvd so either there's no way of getting a certain film or if you're lucky there'll be a crappy vcd. Sometimes there are better versions on laserdisc as well (and some of them are cheap too on eBay).

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Yes, there's a PAL/NTSC issue on LD players as well. I believe there are some players that can handle both formats though.

I'd love a list of titles where the Laserdisc release is the best one so far, the only one I know of fore sure is Hands of Steel but I also remember reading about some LD release of Suspiria having the best colors.

Sadly, I can't contribute to much since my knowledge is obviously very limited, I am very curious when it comes to this format though.
Quote Post Goto Top

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
Yes, you must be careful and choose a multisystem player. I highly recommend Pioneer players.

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Alright, I'll make sure to get a multi system one. Cheers.

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines

Kenneth M
Star Member
Beta tapes are the same. There are some releases that only got put out on beta. Sony manufactured a multisystem for beta. The model #'s end with the letters "ME" for "Middle East" as that is the only place that they were manufactured for. I was able to find me a pristine example on ebay about a month ago.

Posted Image

This one is a SL-800ME model. It is a pro-sumer model with 4 heads and runs on any voltage between 99-264v without need for an external voltage converter. It plays European PAL, UK PAL, ME SECAM, French SECAM, Moroccan SECAM, NTSC 4.43, NTSC 3.58 and has 3 built in tuners. I paid just over $500.00 including shipping.

All in all, I'm just glad I can finally watch my beta copy of "Buitres sobre la ciudad" with Maurizio Merli!!! :)

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Wauw!! Thanks for that piece of info!! Now I want one of those!! Just out of curiosity; were are you located and how much was the postage to get it??

Oh, and have a look at this T-shirt I bought a couple weeks ago B) :

Posted Image

Jack

Uncle Chainsaw
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Hi,

I also recommend Pioneer players, my Pioneer CLD-D515 is more than 10 years old and is still running fine ( but I also have a Pioneer CLD-2950 in the cellar in case the 515 dies ). Most players manufactured for and sold in Europe play PAL and NTSC LDs ( I don't know if players sold in the USA can play PAL LDs also )....as far as I remember, there were some problems with TV-sets...the TV must be able to handle the NTSC-signal. To be sure of the players ability to handle both PAL and NTSC just go to http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk ....there's a list of manufacturers on the right side of the page, click, choose the type of player and you'll get any information you want.....

Since there's only space for 30 minutes ( in CAV-mode, CAV means Constant Angular Velocity, this mode supports freeze frame and variable slow motion ) or 60 minutes ( in CLV-mode, CLV means Constant Linear Velocity, there's no freeze frame or slow motion, only on some high-end players with a digital frame store ) per side, you'll have to turn the LD over, but there are some players which are able to flip automatically from Side A to Side B ( dual-side players )....

There's a very good article about Laserdiscs on Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdisc .... there you can also find informations on laser rot - the death of the beloved LD....

Cheers....Uncle Chainsaw

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
Kenneth M
Jun 21 2008, 10:27 PM
Beta tapes are the same. There are some releases that only got put out on beta. Sony manufactured a multisystem for beta. The model #'s end with the letters "ME" for "Middle East" as that is the only place that they were manufactured for. I was able to find me a pristine example on ebay about a month ago.

Posted Image

This one is a SL-800ME model. It is a pro-sumer model with 4 heads and runs on any voltage between 99-264v without need for an external voltage converter. It plays European PAL, UK PAL, ME SECAM, French SECAM, Moroccan SECAM, NTSC 4.43, NTSC 3.58 and has 3 built in tuners. I paid just over $500.00 including shipping.

All in all, I'm just glad I can finally watch my beta copy of "Buitres sobre la ciudad" with Maurizio Merli!!! :)

Congratulations :)

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Hey Uncle Chainsaw, thanks for your info. Very useful.
Hmm, LD rot! Must read up on that. :unsure:

Jack

Kenneth M
Star Member
Thx Jack & Miltos! :)

Jack, I am located in Texas, United States. The price of the unit was $450.00 "Buy it now." The seller was located in Canada. The price of postage was $75.00. The unit weighs about 20 pounds. (It is freaking heavy!!!)

If I were you I'd just save the "SL-800ME" search in ebay so that it'll email you if one pops up for sale.

Niiiiice shirt! :lol:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Laserdiscs · Next Topic »
Add Reply