Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
wanted: Holy Flame of the Martial World DVD
Topic Started: Jul 28 2008, 03:32 PM (506 Views)
petcor80
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
the few reviews I checked for the Magic Blade seemed quite positive over the quality of the transfer... but it's good to know that region 3 is the preferred way to go.

I also have read a few times that the Celestial releases (region 1 nd 3) have a general image quality problem that is caused by them being in the NTSC format (a technical thing, I think lack of sharpness is the main problem talked about). I know about a handful that have been released in the Netherlands (so, PAL) on very cheap releases, but in general most of these titles don't seem to make it into region 2 / PAL. It seems Europe (me included) is very slow to catch up on these babies :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mads
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
I haven't seen the R1 Magic Blade yet so I can't comment on that one. However, there isn't really a 'preferred way to go' when it comes to DVD versions of SB films. You have to do quite a bit of research on the individual titles if you want to make sure you are getting the best version. The R3 versions do have PAL/NTSC issues, but these are relatively minor problems compared to the horrible soundtracks they did for some of these releases. This thread should give you an idea, although the list is far from complete:

http://adg.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=30&st=0

So far, some of the best R1 editions are from Dragon Dynasty, I have high hopes for BCI too since they seem devoted to doing their very best on these films. Media Blasters are doing OK as well, although I hope they will address the PAL/NTSC issue on their coming releases. So far Image have been dissapointing, doing fake 16x9 transfers from non-anamorphic prints, and take a look at their DVD of Boxer's Omen for some horrible (PAL/NTSC-related) 'combing'-effects, and of course it has the wrong audio track too, being mandarin-only.
For non-R1 editions, some of the German versions are recommended due to their general good quality and (sometimes) inclusion of the original audio-tracks and english subtitles. The Australian company Siren Visual are definitely recommended too, sadly they have stopped releasing SB films due to poor sales.
Danish tapes for trade

petcor80
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
soundtrack problems too?!? bird sounds added wtf :lol:
On (Dutch) VHS I have never seen a perfect kungfu release, so maybe it shouldn't be too much of an issue (for me), but when it comes to DVD I do like to get the best / most original version available. a lot of research indeed!
Thanks again for the insights

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
Mads Jensen
Jul 28 2008, 09:54 PM
Fingers crossed they still have it in stock Peter, that link is certainly my best bet at grabbing it at a reasonable price.

Hey Mads, could you let us know which store is that? :unsure:

petcor80
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
cinehound
Jul 29 2008, 08:06 AM
Mads Jensen
Jul 28 2008, 09:54 PM
Fingers crossed they still have it in stock Peter, that link is certainly my best bet at grabbing it at a reasonable price.

Hey Mads, could you let us know which store is that? :unsure:

please don't yet :) I don't want anybody snatching that dvd away if they have only one copy left and I am waiting on news from that forum before placing an order or not...

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
petcor80
Jul 29 2008, 08:55 AM
soundtrack problems too?!? bird sounds added wtf :lol:

Yes!! I read about another SB film over at Asian Dvd Guide, I forget the title but it had a horse in it and when they restored the film at Celestial they thought it ought to sound like a horse so they had a guy going "Eehhhhh" like a fucking horse! :lol: :lol:

It sounds funny when you talk about it but unfortunately in many cases these are the dvd's we are left with for years to come.

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
OK then, in fact I'm not interest in itat all, I thought it was a store... B)

petcor80
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
I've made a trade for the DVD, so now I can reveal the webstore links send to me were this OOP disc still might be in stock :)

Mads: http://www.eastwestdvds.de/catalog/product...roducts_id=1382
Jocky: http://www.fivestarlaser.com/movies/9218.html
thanks again for the help guys!

And for those who wonder what SB titles have been released on DVD in the Netherlands, see this link: http://www.dfw.nl/shawbrothers/
a nice selection of classic titles me thinks. Some of them are going 5 for 10 euro at the moment at the "Free Record Shop"!! (along with a cool selection of Hong Kong Legends discs, bought me a pile today!)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · For Sale & Swap · Next Topic »
Add Reply