Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'SARCOPHILOUS FILMS' IS PROUD TO PRESENT...; Brit-horror double-bill!
Topic Started: Aug 16 2008, 03:19 PM (3,811 Views)
WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
'SARCOPHILOUS FILMS' is proud to present the ultra-rare and super-obscure Brit-horror double-bill from forgotten director Michael J Murphy, "INVITATION TO HELL" & "THE LAST NIGHT"!

Made in 1982 and released in 1983, this double-bill has rarely been seen since. Video releases have been few and far between and more often than not unlicensed from the director and thus illegal. Adding insult to injury, the director has never received a penny from any of the handful of video releases over the years and such releases have split up the double-bill, choosing to release only "INVITATION TO HELL" and leaving "THE LAST NIGHT" out of the mix. Awful quality transfers of cut prints have also caused the films to be ignored...

But 'SARCOPHILOUS FILMS' aims to rectify these mistakes. Working alongside the director, 'SARCOPHILOUS FILMS' has tried to ensure that existing materials have been cleaned up as much as possible as well as having the director on board to help create bonus materials that aim to entertain as well as inform.

For the first time since its original 'Scorpio Video' release in the UK back in 1983, Michael J Murphy's original double-bill will be available to the public. Not only that, but it will be available FULLY UNCUT for the very first time EVER, reinstating material previously cut from even that original release!

For more information on 'SARCOPHILOUS FILMS'' first DVD release, please visit us at:

http://www.sarcophilousfilms.com

Read about how 'SARCOPHILOUS FILMS' came to be and where it hopes to go as well as get more info on this first DVD release. A full list of what can be expected on this first DVD release is available on the home-page as well as a trailer for the double-bill (newly created by the director), contact info, etc.

My fellow Cinehounds will hopefully be proud to be the breeding ground for some of the most exciting and adventurous DVD labels of the present and future, what with the likes of ONAR FILMS and SARCOPHILOUS FILMS rubbing shoulders! And rightly so! Here's to the independent spirit of the Cinehounds!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
I don't know anything about him or them, Wayne, but I for one will def. check this release out!

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
WOW !! Great news my friend! And what a name...'SARCOPHILOUS FILMS' B)

I wish you good luck and Cinehound Forum will be always here to support you :D

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
In fact I don't know the movies too, but trailers look great and I find IMDb info:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0614543/

I'm sure for a great release B)

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Thanks guys! We are looking forward to this first release and have a nice slate of future releases to choose from too, including further films from Michael J. Murphy and possibly some Italian treasures too! B)

But we are not looking beyond this initial DVD release at this point. It is important to us to ensure we give this our utmost attention. This release, as well as every release that we (hopefully) work on, should be afforded the utmost respect and is deserving of being treated like an only child!

Expecting a November release for "INVITATION TO HELL" & "THE LAST NIGHT"...

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Wayne, what is your input (or position) in this company?

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines

headless
Member Avatar
[ * ]
wow, I have the old 'scorpion' uk double bill for these flix...
I must dig the tape out and watch it again.... although, that could be dangerous as I
clearly remember nearly choking to death from laughing while watching both THE LAST NIGHT and INVITATION TO HELL.
A similar reaction befell me while viewing another clunky uk 'shocker' called THE COMIC the same night....
aww, the beer soaked memories :lol:
Posted Image

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Thanks for the questions and responses.

Firstly, my role/input in this company is that of partner. That is the basic position, if you like, i occupy within the company. Me and my good friend Clive (a fellow Cinehound of yours) are partners in this venture. He is the money man and i am the 'chaser' i guess you could say. Not that our roles can be summed up so easily in that way. Clive is not just a guy funding this. He is working his ass off as much as me to ensure we get a great release out. I put together the deal as far as getting Michael J Murphy interested in doing a DVD release for these films, acquiring the worldwide rights, arranging contracts, helping supervise transfers, coming up with ideas for the release and how to market it, putting together bonus materials, etc. Mike has been a real trooper in getting stuck in with this release. He personally created the anamorphic masters, cleaned them up as much as time would allow amidst his other work, created trailers, shot a short 'making-of' documentary, provided stacks of original photos from the productions as well as poster materials and other cool stuff. He even sat and recorded a commentary for both films. I ensured that the masters were up to the standard that our budget and Mike's time would allow, talked Mike into allowing THE LAST NIGHT to be released also as he was not keen and wanted another film to accompany INVITATION TO HELL on the release. I felt we should keep the original double-bill together to preserve it on digital format and much discussion resulted in a mutual and happy agreement to do so. The image gallery has turned out very nice also with hours and hours of non-stop scanning of original stills proving to be worth the time and effort. Mike's reluctance to do a commentary track (because of a slight nervousness about sitting and chatting about these old films) was also turned around to where he was happy to sit and chat about them and the featurette plays well also with some really relaxed chat and hilarious anecdotes!
My work at this point is almost done. I am awaiting on just 2 more items from Mike to add to the image gallery and then the commentary tracks, image gallery and featurette will be in Clive's hands. Other than handling the funding of the release, Clive will be authoring the disc. Menus and sub-menus will be created, sleeve design and just about everything else to put everything together will be on Clive's part. He will take the goods and put them together into a whole, creating the actual DVD of what Mike and myself have been working to pull together on.
We are hoping for and expecting a release sometime in November...

And, yes...the double-bill is a pure beer-drinking, after-the-pub-has-shut type of affair, something sorely missing in today's market! But you need to see the fully UNCUT version we are putting out so you can appreciate them as originally intended, yet never before seen. The full heart-ripping scene is here in ALL its gory glory!

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Hey Wayne,
That all sounds just brilliant. I hope it all goes well for you, from what you're telling us you sure have put in a great deal of work on this release. I seem to remember not long after I had joined here you were talking about how you had no money, were only buying dvd-r's, stayed at home with your kid, and seemed slightly unhappy with the lack of being able to do stuff (maybe I'm completely in the wrong here). But anyway, it seems like things are going the right way. I for one will surely buy your release (not just to support but simply cos it looks rad!). Where abouts in the UK are you (no, I'm not gonna pop round, too far away anyway, I'm just curious)?

Jack

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
I'm based in Gloucestershire...

To be honest, i was always a little down about never having enough money to do stuff with my family and always havign money problems. Also, having alot of my so-called friends not bother with me when i became a dad or just turn into assholes really bothered me at first too. But that 5 years was awesome, nonetheless. Raising my son at home from the age of 3 months until he went to school was THE greatest time of my life, hands-down. I wouldn't change that time for all the money, success and fun times in the world!

But, yeah, it's nice to finally realise one of one's dreams and even better if it means a friend gets to realise their dream also. That is what happened with SARCOPHILOUS FILMS. I thought i would run the idea of releasing some of Mike Murphy's films on DVD past my good mate Clive as i knew he had always wanted to set up his own DVD label and Mike seemed very happy to help us out with a good deal that could get us started. Clive jumped at the chance to pump some money and energy into the venture and i was more than happy to pump some energy and time into the release myself. Mike also helped, doing a great deal of work on improving the source materials' quality and digging out various stuff for us to use. Also, recording commentaries, making a featurette and putting together trailers. So, it worked out really well and we only hope now that this first release will be well received...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DVD, VCD & Blu-Ray · Next Topic »
Add Reply