Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Bollywood Horror Volumes 2&3
Topic Started: Aug 23 2008, 10:14 PM (5,697 Views)
Jared
Member Avatar
Star Member
I thought I'd start a thread for this since Pete just announced these two future releases over in the SATAN'S BED thread. I've held off on searching out more Ramsey Bros. films in order to wait and see what MM came up with so my anticipation for these DVDs couldn't be higher. If you haven't seen the above mentioned thread here's what Pete had to say:

Quote:

If all goes according to plan biggrin.gif , there will be two more double disk Bollywood sets.

Vol 2 - Veerana and Purani Haveli
Vol 3 - Mahakaal and Tahkhana

out next year. We're 98% there already.

I've never seen any of these, but have heard a lot of good things about Veerana. Can anyone else in the know give the lowdown on the others? Are we still in classic Ramsey Bros. territory?
Worldweird Cinema
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Jared
Aug 24 2008, 12:14 AM

Can anyone else in the know give the lowdown on the others? Are we still in classic Ramsey Bros. territory?

You're looking at me aren't you?? :huh: :huh: :P

I have a few Indian films on vcd and dvd but I still haven't worked by way through them all (sounds like a chor and it isn't by any means, LOL). So I can't really tell you... and besides... wouldn't you rather wait and watch them (and judge them) yourself?? What good would it do if I said: "Nah, crappedy-crap all of them!" :lol:
You have consciously held out on getting the subtitled dvd's in case MM were going to put them out, now they ARE going to put them out; I say... wait and see. :D
But if an Indian horror movie is by the Ramsays... in my view they're always fun. Obviously, some more than others but as they always say in dubbed kung-fu movies: but still!!
(your dragon style is good... but still... my iron finger is... better!). :lol: :lol:

However... I watched DAK BANGLA; holey smoley!! One fun ride if I ever saw one! That's one movie I would looove to see subtitled.

http://www.thehotspotonline.com/moviespot/...d/DakBangla.htm

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

Jared
Member Avatar
Star Member
Oh yeah, you're totally right Jack. But I was just wondering what general fan opinion was - sometimes even negative comments can fuel my anticipation for an obscure z-grade exploiter!
DAK BANGLA sounds aces. I've been wanting to see HOTEL for a long time, it sounds great. Now that it doesn't appear to be in the cards perhaps I will now track that one down.
Worldweird Cinema

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
All these Ramsay titles mentioned above are just...superb B)

The first MM bollywood DVD was also released by a label in India (of course MM is a far better one!)

But there is already another double-bill Ramsay Brothers horror DVD in India, a good seller has it on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VEERANA-SAAMRI-India-B...1742.m153.l1262

Mondo Pete
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Some of these have been released in India. But our versions have all been newly done from the neg. I promise you, they look way, way better than the existing ones. I was more than pleasantly surprised by the results.

We already had the master that was used for the recent Indian issue of Veerrana but it was so bad we didn't want to release it in that form.

Dak Bangla and Saamri are also possibles, if these sell OK. Dak Bangla is one of my favorites, and one of the best Ramsay horrors, I think; although it was not directed by Tulsi and Shyam Ramsay.

We won't be doing Hotel. The current DVD is OK. But again, I think they used an existing tape master rather than redoing it for DVD.

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
I can only repeat what I said earlier, Pete: This all sounds veeery cool!! And maybe Dak Bangla too?? That's absolutely one of my Ramsay faves and my fullscreen, unsubbed vcd truly needs an update!

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines

Chris K.
[ * ]
Hello, I'm new here on the forum and I'd like to chime in about these upcoming Bollywood horror titles from the Ramsay's.

First, I'm really excited by this news and I'd like to thank Pete at Mondo Macabro for delivering these fun and wacky movies to the USA. Ever since I saw their 2-disc release of "Purana Mandir" and "Bandh Darwaza" I've been hooked on Bollywood horror, espcially from the likes of Tulsi and Shyam Ramsay as they knew how to deliver a fun flick. In fact, there is a video store close to me called Sona Video that had a few old Indian VHS's for sale and...suprise, suprise...I found these titles: "Ghungroo Ki Aawaz", "Telephone", "Dak Banglia", "Wohi Bhayanak Raat", "Apradhi Kaun", "Cheekh", "Shaitani Ilaaka", and "Mahakaal". I even found an old VHS of "Purana Mandir" and snatched that one up like no tomorrow.

Since I've seen "Mahakaal", I can tell you a little that I know about it. I remember when I first watched it I wasn't impressed. In fact, I was quite disappointed in it because most of the Ramsay's output during the 70s up to the early 90s rarely ripped-off American films but used some of the ideas in order to come up with their own themes. But with "Mahakaal", at the time I felt it was a bland attempt to re-vitalize the horror genre in India after making "Bandh Darwaza" and felt it relyed too much on Wes Craven's "A Nightmare on Elm Street" to the point it seemed Tulsi and Shyam Ramsay sold themselves out to be just like Mohan Bhakri ("Khooni Murda" anyone?). But then, since I've watched it a few times later, I come to find out that I really like "Mahakaal" and hated it for all the wrong reasons. It's a very bizarre take on Craven's film, but the Ramsay's have managed to take those elements to a whole different level. The death scenes themselves are outrageous...but I don't want to spoil them. And hey, speaking of Bollywood in general, we get some comedy provided by Johnny Lever, obviously to make up for his lack of screen time in "Bandh Darwaza"! In "Mahakaal", Lever seems to be playing three different roles and it's hard to tell if these characters are different characters, or if Lever's character has personality problems...one great bit has him decked out like Michael Jackson and wearing Puma clothing! Insane...but I loved every minute of it! And, Tulsi and Shyam added in a couple of homages to their own films, such as one scene having a poster art of "Veerana" used as a picture frame, revealing a few music cues from "Purana Mandir", etc. Also, listen for the music at the end as it's the stock cues used in "Night of the Living Dead", which also showed up in "Bandh Darwaza" as well. I can't wait to watch this one...with proper English subs.

And Pete, if you are reading this, if you plan to release any more Bollywood films in the future, please put out the Ramsay's "Dahshat" and "Telephone"! And Pete, if you consider putting out Ramsay's "Shaitani Ilaaka", my VHS has the film's original theatrical trailer at the end in case you need an extra bonus. [/FONT][/FONT]

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Another Bollywood horror fan! Welcome to Cinehound, Chris! B)

Living next to a rental that has Bollywood videos! Lucky you!!

Jack

Chris K.
[ * ]
Thanks Jack.

Well, keep in mind, I never even knew they had Bollywood titles at all...and I rented from their store ever since the mid 90s, so what did I know! Sona was, and still is to my knowledge, owned by an Indian family and they usually catered to more "Westernized" material, but they had plenty of Bollywood titles for those curious and still do. Most of them are DVD now, so it's much harder to find Bollywood horror from them.

The best part about these tapes is they always have some sort of advertising in the middle, almost as if these were sourced from a TV boradcast..."Mahakaal" has some crazy ads that just makes the whole thing more surreal. And, of course, the transfer quality leaves a lot to be desired, but it seems Pete has done some major restoration on some titles from the neg and I know I'll be impressed.

Lars Jacobsson
Superstar Member
Jack J
Aug 27 2008, 10:19 PM
Another Bollywood horror fan! Welcome to Cinehound, Chris!  B)

Living next to a rental that has Bollywood videos! Lucky you!!

Jack

I do too! Well, actually it's a Pakistani rental but their stock seem to be at least 90% Bolly titles. I've never actually rented anything yet though... It wasn't really that long since I discovered Bollywood (shoot me, but I like the dramas more than the horror/exploitation stuff) so that will probably change soon!
http://macisteandfriends.blogspot.com/
http://tilapia.dvdaf.com/owned

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Bollywood & Pakistani Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply