Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Cut DVD list!; Let's start a mega Cut DVD list!
Topic Started: Nov 2 2008, 09:10 PM (4,316 Views)
cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
Stephen Gladwin
Jul 10 2009, 03:07 AM

**Miltos: Wasn't this thread a sticky before? It should be again ;)

Done :D

You're right as it's a very interesting thread indeed!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Member-X
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Stephen Gladwin
Jul 10 2009, 03:07 AM
Posted Image

Does anyone know exactly what is missing from this DVD?  I know it's cut rather severely, missing about two minutes of footage as compared to the uncut Midnight Video VHS that I have.  I think the MV VHS is a composite of the cut English language Unicorn release and the uncut Spanish language Unicorn VHS.

**Miltos:  Wasn't this thread a sticky before?  It should be again ;)

Here's some info:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=7130
Posted Image

Stephen Gladwin
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Posted Image

Well, here we go again! File this one under "missed opportunity" by our new king of missed opportunities, MYA COMMUNICATIONS!

According to this
DVD Maniacs Review it appears the new MYA release of LEGEND OF BLOOD CASTLE (AKA BLOOD CEREMONY, FEMALE BUTCHER) is the clothed version, with only the nude footage included as an extra. It is also not anamorphic and the reviewer says the DVD seems to be mastered from a video master. Sigh.

So, as it stands I believe the only true uncut version (or at least the most complete version available) is once again the one offered by Bill at Midnight Video. It's a DVD-R transfer of the hyper rare Finnish VHS release. I have the DVD-R and while the print itself is soft, Bill's transfer work is rock solid. It's definitely watchable and is even more complete than the Japanese VHS!

videohunter
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Stephen Gladwin
Oct 19 2009, 06:44 AM

So, as it stands I believe the only true uncut version (or at least the most complete version available) is once again the one offered by Bill at Midnight Video.  It's a DVD-R transfer of the hyper rare Finnish VHS release.  I have the DVD-R and while the print itself is soft, Bill's transfer work is rock solid.  It's definitely watchable and is even more complete than the Japanese VHS!

not entirely true steve, check my comparison review on the swedish vhs(same print as the finnish one) and the japan vhs ..

http://www.cultmovieforums.com/forum/showt...=female+butcher

Stephen Gladwin
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
A-ha! I stand corrected, then! Great detective work Joe. Hmm, so it seems this is another one of those "can't win" titles at the moment. Thanks for the comparisons. I remember doing split-screen comparisons for Midnight Video's Cut DVD list nearly a decade ago and I'm still hurting :wacko: That is dull, slogging work for sure, but someone has to do it and I thank you sir.

videohunter
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Stephen Gladwin
Oct 19 2009, 06:34 PM
A-ha! I stand corrected, then! Great detective work Joe. Hmm, so it seems this is another one of those "can't win" titles at the moment. Thanks for the comparisons. I remember doing split-screen comparisons for Midnight Video's Cut DVD list nearly a decade ago and I'm still hurting :wacko: That is dull, slogging work for sure, but someone has to do it and I thank you sir.

i remember ministry88 ;)

anyhow i love doing comparisons especialy films i love such as FEMALE BUTCHER

dodo
Star Member
Stephen Gladwin
Oct 19 2009, 06:44 AM
It's a DVD-R transfer of the hyper rare Finnish VHS release.

Finnish Blood Ceremony tape is not hyper rare, at least not here in Finland. :hello!:

http://www.fixgalleria.net/release.php?id=1418

Still, it's a great film.
retro-pop-art-confusion

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Does the Japanese DVD release of ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS /ZOMBI 2 (Japanese title: ZOMBIE) contain the forest footage from the Danish and Dutch videos which is missing from every other DVD release? I know it's included as extra material on some DVDs but when I watched this film back in the day the footage was in there and in my book it belongs in the film. Anybody know about the Jap. DVD? :unsure:
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

Inspector Tanzi
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
TO KILL A JAGUAR: Ivl Hong Kong release. Quite a bit cut out of this and it shows. It's the only version I've ever seen of the film, anyone know of an uncut one?
Posted Image

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
I have heard that a great many of MYA's releases (as well as planned releases) are all sourced from video masters...and old, out-dated video masters at that!

I have been eager to hear from anyone who has their DVD release of TORINO CENTRALE DEL VIZIO, under the title of 'LUST', but it seems nobody is talking about it. Until yesterday that is when i finally found a review of the DVD on a website that said pretty much what i expected: that the film seemed sourced from an old VHS release. The screengrabs back this up too. It certainly APPEARS to have been sourced either from the old rare PCX video release or from the video master used for that release. Either way, it is a shame that this appears to be the case as we not only get a VHS-quality release but a cut one at that!

In all fairness though, despite MYA having a seemingly bootlegger mentality towards business (i.e. throwing ropey copies out there and often doing so with no legal claim or license on the rights), it is always nice to see such rarities become available.

But i am sure it could be done better. Bruno Vani gave my friend his U-matic video master many years ago that was used for the old TV screenings on some obscure Italian regional channel back in the 1980s. That version is available via some collectors and traders, but in a slightly substandard quality obviously compared to the original master tape. But it is more complete. In fact, when asked, Bruno stated that it was the complete and uncut version of the film and that no hardcore was ever shot by them for the film. Renato confirmed this also. Whether hardcore was shot by foreign companies that may have shown interest, who knows. But the version Vani gave my friend was, as far as he and Renato were concerned, complete and uncut. And all it offered in new footage (from what i can recall) was a dialogue scene (which is bluntly cut off in the PCX release). The opening titles were different too, but there was no extra explicit material as far as violence or sex/nudity...

But, if MYA used the PCX release (or master that had been used by PCX for their release) then it is most definitely an incomplete version (as opposed to "cut")...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DVD, VCD & Blu-Ray · Next Topic »
Add Reply