Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pictures of your habitat
Topic Started: Mar 7 2009, 03:41 PM (2,861 Views)
Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Lars Jacobsson
Oct 8 2010, 04:05 PM
My view from home feels a little more DDR... :(

Growing up here sure felt like living in the DDR (East Germany). We only had state television, no commercials, hardly no American cartoons but lots of stuff from the old Soviet block countries, and everything was almost colourless. :(
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

karamurat
Member Avatar
Star Member
I was confused when Lars first mentioned DDR, thought he was on about the game on playstation you used to dance along to Dance Dance Reveloution and then the penny dropped when East Germany was mentioned :lol:

Lars Jacobsson
Superstar Member
Jack J
Oct 8 2010, 06:02 PM
Growing up here sure felt like living in the DDR (East Germany). We only had state television, no commercials, hardly no American cartoons but lots of stuff from the old Soviet block countries, and everything was almost colourless.  :(

I'm a little bit younger than you but I also grew up with only two TV channels and eastern european cartoons like Profesor Balthazar. In Sweden all that changed in the late eighties/early nineties when the state's TV monopoly was dropped and in a way I kind of miss the days of "boring" leftie-television, when TV still offered some challanging stuff, like obscure experimental- and arthouse films on prime-time TV, amongst all the mind-numblingly dull documentaries about ear-operations and "family entertainment" shows so painfully stiff and old-hat they now feels like it was made on another planet. At least "DDR-TV" beats the non-stop shit marathon on a zillion channels we got today - I don't even watch TV anymore, I just buy or download all the good stuff (and I must add that the quality of good TV-series has never been better than in recent years!).
http://macisteandfriends.blogspot.com/
http://tilapia.dvdaf.com/owned

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Lars Jacobsson
Oct 9 2010, 11:35 AM
Jack J
Oct 8 2010, 06:02 PM
Growing up here sure felt like living in the DDR (East Germany). We only had state television, no commercials, hardly no American cartoons but lots of stuff from the old Soviet block countries, and everything was almost colourless.  :(

I'm a little bit younger than you but I also grew up with only two TV channels and eastern european cartoons like Profesor Balthazar. In Sweden all that changed in the late eighties/early nineties when the state's TV monopoly was dropped and in a way I kind of miss the days of "boring" leftie-television, when TV still offered some challanging stuff, like obscure experimental- and arthouse films on prime-time TV, amongst all the mind-numblingly dull documentaries about ear-operations and "family entertainment" shows so painfully stiff and old-hat they now feels like it was made on another planet. At least "DDR-TV" beats the non-stop shit marathon on a zillion channels we got today - I don't even watch TV anymore, I just buy or download all the good stuff (and I must add that the quality of good TV-series has never been better than in recent years!).

Well, the funny thing is I actually agree with you about television. The old days were difficult if you were an outsider who was into alternative music and "different" culture. It sounds ridiculous but there was ONE other guy in my town who listened to threash metal (we're talking mid-80s here)!!! But television wise I kinda agree with you. I miss that too.

Anyway, about a year ago state television here launched a new channel where they broadcast programs from the old days for two hours every day and I'm glued to the screen, haha. Talk shows from the 70s that I watched when I was 10, and game shows from the 80s. It's awesome! They still haven't shown "Professor Balthazar" but I hope they will some day. :wub:

And guess what, a couple of years ago I even began watching "Polizeiruf 110" which was a long running cop show from East German television!!

About the not so cool times we're squatting in: Like you I could do without all the 10,000 tons of shit too but if nothing else it DOES give of the chance to make choices. Back in the old days (not matter whether you're talking abut the 70s or 80s) we had cool stuff BUT it was very rare and they didn't show it very often. And when they finally did they never repeated it again. Today you need to wade thru tons of shit but if you search for it you CAN find the good stuff. And yeah you're right, there's been made some awesome TV series the last 10 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8sHa1asLwc
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

dodo
Star Member
Some times I feel like I'm the last man on earth:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

retro-pop-art-confusion

Member-X
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Looking through the window where I sit right now:
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 2_o.jpg (105.46 KB)
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
« Previous Topic · Non-Movie Talking · Next Topic »
Add Reply