Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
JAPANESE VHS SLEEVES
Topic Started: Apr 7 2009, 09:26 PM (36,857 Views)
WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
THE HORROR SHOW was cut. I am unsure whether the MPAA insisted upon cuts or whether the producers demanded cuts, but cuts were definitely made prior to any official release of any kind. I forget what was removed, but it was several moments toned down as opposed to being cut completely from what i can recall. There was something trimmed in the opening scene where the cops stumble upon the "kitchen massacre". I think the boy getting hacked to pieces and cut in half was trimmed of a lingering shot dwelling on the detail of his half-torso. And Lance Henriksen's exposed-heart moment was, if i remember rightly, meant to show him tearing at his slit in his chest before pulling it open to expose his beating heart before trying to close the wound whereas in the final edit we see only a strange moment of him pushing it back together. Been so long since i saw the film that i can't remember all the gore details and what is missing. Been wanting to write a piece on missing splatter for a few years now and still have the beginnings of the piece somewhere. Will have to dig it out. Maybe i should contact KNB EFX also to try and verify the details after all these years...
But the version that was seen in American cinemas and most other places is the version we got here in the UK on video and the BBFC did not touch it at all. It is considered to be the "uncut theatrical version"...but the original roughcut was a little different and, to my knowledge, has never been released anywhere. I guess they just bottled it on some of the juicier KNB fx and felt they should tone the overall excesses to stop the MPAA slapping an 'X' on it...?

Same goes for DEAD HEAT...that is another film i wrote about in my little piece on the most mythical missing gore moments. It was submitted to the MPAA on many occasions and received a total of 6 'X' ratings in various cut forms before being approved! Also, there was apparently some issues with Joe Piscopo over some of the more excessive gore they came up with as he felt he wanted the film to be something he would not get a bad name from (like the guy ever had a GOOD name, right?). So, the library zombie was removed completely (hence that jarring moment where one minute they are reading some stuff in the library and the next they are walking out of the library talking and acting as if they had just had some fucked-up encounter) and a VERY explicit and juicy head-kicking moment from the opening of the film was cut completely (we only see them prod the zombie robber's slushy head remains with their feet, but originally Steve Johnson created a prosthetic head with internal skull material and full of fleshy gelatin that, when kicked in repeatedly by Piscopo, caused the internal skull device to crack and cave in, allowing the head to become more and more pulped from kicks until just a fleshy sack of skin and gore!). The shower scene was trimmed too, although i believe this was because Johnson's FX work apparently went a bit too far to the point of getting too messy and it was both overlong and got a little sloppy looking. The "Death Day" sequence with Linnea as the zombie bimbo bursting from the cake (she puppeteerd Steve Johnson's FX dummy for the scene) was, i think, originally meant to be in the film but was deemed too disgusting by the MPAA. If my memory serves my well, i think the director mentions on his commentary track for the DVD that the scene was removed due to slowing the pace too much during a point when it needed to flow quicker (?) but i remember hearing back when the film was being submitted to the MPAA back many years ago that it was actually one of the moments the MPAA were against...

It is a shame that THE HORROR SHOW is missing a few moments. We can only hope that one day it gets a digitial overhall and with more input from the makers so we can see either the original strong cut of the film or at least the footage as deleted scenes or KNB video-diary excerpts...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
I am virtually certain (to the point of being 99.9% sure, in fact) that DEAD HEAT has never been seen in its original full-length version as filmed anywhere in the world. Between Piscopo demanding it be softended down due to not wanting to be associated with a film as violent as it turned out and the MPAA insisting on cuts on six separate occasions where it was submitted to them i would bet my life on it never having had a full-strength release anywhere. Maybe some Danish enthusiasts can help us out though as far as confirming that there was a Danish video release that contained SOME extra footage to other versions? A friend of mine used to have a composite version made up of the standard worldwide video release edit, the tv version and a Danish video version. Even that composite though was lacking the strongest cut moments and the material turned out to be the same as what turned up on the DVD release years later...

As for THE HORROR SHOW...i really don't know. The film was released on video here in the UK without any cuts by the BBFC and that version seems to be the same standard release exported worldwide. There were reports many years back that the Hong Kong release was longer, but i believe it turned out to be the same standard final cut (minus some slightly juicier shots) that was made availabe to all markets. As i say, KNB may be the guys to contact about this one as they may possibly be able to help with recollections of the shoot, editing history concerning their FX work and maybe even stills or video clips of the full-strength FX. I am hoping to one day get around to contacting them to see what i can dig up. Same goes for Steve Johnson, who i am keen to one day contact about the full low-down on the DEAD HEAT fx situation...

Savini would be a nice one too as i have heard a couple of varying reports over the years about the original ending for DAWN OF THE DEAD. Some fans and journos have stated that the original ending was never shot and was discarded before filming and yet i have a strong memory of reading a quote from Savini concerning the scene many years back in a magazine in my local branch of WHSmiths (where i was scouring this particular magazine instead of buying it) where he mentioned it had indeed been shot but that the feeling was that it was way way too bleak a climax so it was not used (and subsequently lost). I wish for the LIFE of me i could recall what the magazine was, but i can't! It wasn't DARKSIDE and so i can only hazard a guess at it POSSIBLY being something like STARBURST or something as WHSmiths didn't stock alot of genre-related film magazines that had a horror/fantasy-orientation...
I guess, again, that Savini would be the main man to ask to clear up this one...and that would mean that i should maybe resurrect my article and finish it if i am going to ever contact these people!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · VHS / Beta / Video2000 · Next Topic »
Add Reply