Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Complete list of "Made in Hong Kong" tapes
Topic Started: May 23 2009, 01:25 PM (7,532 Views)
WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
On the MIHK tapes, from what i recall, the subs were often newly mastered.

I have a few MIHK tapes i am willing to part with for just a few quid each if anyone wants them? Most are MINT sell-thru (small-box) releases but i do have the ex-rental (big-box) release of Ringo Lam's CITY ON FIRE too...

The biggest, most frustrating thing about MIHK's tape releases was the fact that they used Macrovision on their tapes. Sure, anyone can get a cable or kit and remove the Macro signal. But maaaaaan...if you didn't have the means to do so, watching these films (despite being cracking quality releases at the time) was often marred by the fact that the colour was always made too strong by the Macrovision and the contrast was hard to get right also.
Their otherwise excellent tape release of BULLET IN THE HEAD was a case in point: everyone's skin-tones looked so damned peach-tinted and it was hard to get a satisfying image adjustment...

Otherwise....nice prints for the time that were often complete (the odd censored exception, of course), full-length original edits, original ratios, in clean condition and with good remastered subs...

Can't recall which i still have, but i believe it is A CHINESE GHOST STORY (sell-thru), PRISON ON FIRE (sell-thru), TIGER ON THE BEAT (sell-thru) and CITY ON FIRE (rental version). Maybe one or two others, but most have gone since the superior DVD versions materialised. May POSSIBLY still have one of the catalogues kicking around somewhere too (these were often included in with the tapes)...

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Asian Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply