Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sweden
Topic Started: Aug 6 2009, 02:10 PM (7,328 Views)
dodo
Star Member
dodo
Sep 7 2014, 12:45 PM
I'm a bit interested in Lapland and Sami culture at the moment.
Is there Swedish films that are placed in Lapland or have Sami peope in them. Like the classic Swedish sci fi Rymdinvasion i Lappland?

One more thing, can any Swede explain the difference between Swedish "Lapland" and "Norrland"? Are the two words used as synonyms in a daily use? I know there's some films placed in Norrland, like the 1971 film Skräcken Har 1000 Ögon and the 2006 horror film Frostbite... But I don't remember anything Laplandish or Sami in these two films.
retro-pop-art-confusion
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lars Jacobsson
Superstar Member
dodo
Aug 11 2013, 08:11 AM
Can anyone tell me more about the Res aldrig på enkel biljett mentioned in the "bleakness and despair" topic. The film sounds very interesting... Also is the Swedish DVD oop?

http://z9.invisionfree.com/THE_CINEHOUND_F...topic=8536&st=0
I watched it a couple of weeks back and wasn't that impressed i'm afraid. It's indeed a very bleak and weird film but also prententious (in the bad way) and muddled. The film feels like an half-digested idea and it's hard to know what to make of it. Still, I can easily imagine some people liking it much more than I did and it has one truly nightmarish standout scene (if you've seen you know which one i'm talking about). The DVD is indeed OOP. The transfer isn't great but probably the best we'll ever see and on the plus-side it has loads of extras and a whole extra DVD full of Alexandersson/De Geer shorts, all subtitled.

Wow, my first post in years. Facebook is starting to feel more and more shit so I figured it's time to move back to the forums.
http://macisteandfriends.blogspot.com/
http://tilapia.dvdaf.com/owned

dodo
Star Member
Lars Jacobsson
Jun 9 2015, 10:07 PM
Wow, my first post in years. Facebook is starting to feel more and more shit so I figured it's time to move back to the forums.
Welcome back! :cheers: And thanks for the info!

I never got in to the facebook thing... And I have been wondering why all the movie forums feel so dead... So there are cult film discussions in facebook also?
retro-pop-art-confusion

Sweeney Todd
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Finally, five years after my original post, can anybody tell me if the Arne Mattson version of KORKARLEN has surfaced on video - with or without English subs ? I would be interested even for a TV recording of this one, on VHS or DVD.
I do have the French adaptation of the legend, LA CHARRETTE FANTÔME, made by Julien Duvivier and starring Pierre Fresnay and Louis Jouvet.

In the meantime I got the DVD of the Swedish-language version of SINGOALLA, made by French director Christian-Jaque, with Viveca Lindfors and Alf Kjellin. The director made three simultaneous language versions - Swedish, French and English - I also have the French one, with miss Lindfors, and Michel Auclair replacing Kjellin. But I'm always searching for the English one, with Lindfors and Kjellin. The Swedish DVD includes the last reel of this English version as a bonus. Too bad they didn't include the complete film. This English version has a happy end, when the two others end tragically !
Edited by Sweeney Todd, Aug 20 2015, 12:36 PM.

dodo
Star Member
Svenska kultklassiker 6 film DVD box:

https://nordicfantasy.wordpress.com/2016/06/24/swedish-cult-classics-on-dvd/

retro-pop-art-confusion

Member-X
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
The search yielded no results, so I have to mention: Wither AKA Vittra. Great Swedish horror! :up:

It's not a horror, a drama that simply slaps you in the face: Daisy Diamond. A real "Feel Bad" movie. Noomi Rapace is great as the stressed mother.
Posted Image

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Member-X
Jul 18 2016, 12:01 PM
The search yielded no results, so I have to mention: Wither AKA Vittra. Great Swedish horror! :up:

It's an unofficial remake of THE EVIL DEAD and in my book (of the dead) it's way better than the official remake of the film! :hi:
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

Member-X
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Jack J
Jul 26 2016, 09:44 PM
Member-X
Jul 18 2016, 12:01 PM

It's an unofficial remake of THE EVIL DEAD and in my book (of the dead) it's way better than the official remake of the film! :hi:

I'm yet to see the official remake.
Posted Image

Sweeney Todd
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
KÖRKARLEN (The Phantom Carriage)

NOT the celebrated silent version by Viktor Sjöström, but the 1958 remake by Arne Mattsson. I finally ordered this one, as it's part of a set of 3 Swedish movies based on novels by Selma Lagerlof, the two others being HEMSÖBORNA (The People of Hemso) 1955, by Arne Mattsson, and NILS HOLGERSSONS UNDERBARA RESA (Wonderful Adventures of Nils) 1962 by Kenne Fant (and a young Max von Sydow in the cast - NO, not as Nils !

I just received a notice from the Swedish Post and will get the parcel this week. I can't wait longer for the "Phantom Carriage" version as I want to watch this since decades ! I'm over familiar with the subject, having both the Sjöström version and the 1939 French remake by Julien Duvivier, starring Pierre Fresnay and Louis Jouvet...

And, being from Brittany, I always knew this story as in fact it originated from my country. For years I didn't understand how the same legend (called the "Ankou" in Brittany) could exist in different countries, but I got the explanation only recently from a Swedish correspondent, in fact the legend is totally unknown in Sweden (excepted for the Lagerlof novel) - and Mrs Lagerlof mentioned that her book was "based on a French legend". Well, not exactly "French", but Breton !

Unfortunately the DVD set has no subs, but I hope to persuade a friend who owns a DVD company to release it in France, with subtitles of course.

I'll tell more about "The Phantom Carriage" as soon I'll watch it.

honddrak
[ * ]
Does anyone help with this film I'm looking for?

Sams (1974) - Calvin Floyd

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073653/

Based on the free love I read online.

Thanks

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Euro Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply