Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Two rare LDs and one LP for sale in August
Topic Started: Jul 18 2010, 07:26 PM (638 Views)
Sweeney Todd
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Quote:

think also all the "laser rot" talk scared away the potential new generations taking up that side of the hobby. Quite sad.

It wasn't only "talk" - but a sad reality. A friend of mine bought several dozens of LDs in Great-Britain in the mid-1980s. All the discs were carefully kept in a safe place. Last week, he came to my house with ten of these LDs, asking me to copy them on DVDs as some titles are scarce and were never re-released in another format.
Well, from the ten titles, only two were still watchable - the others going from rotten (with an awfully grainy image on the screen in the "best" cases...) to "barely watchable". I have no doubt about the fact that these LDs were expensive (even when released) and could have a certain interest for collectors... but not in this shape. :(
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Inspector Tanzi
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Sweeney Todd
Jul 19 2010, 10:15 AM
Quote:

think also all the "laser rot" talk scared away the potential new generations taking up that side of the hobby. Quite sad.

It wasn't only "talk" - but a sad reality. A friend of mine bought several dozens of LDs in Great-Britain in the mid-1980s. All the discs were carefully kept in a safe place. Last week, he came to my house with ten of these LDs, asking me to copy them on DVDs as some titles are scarce and were never re-released in another format.
Well, from the ten titles, only two were still watchable - the others going from rotten (with an awfully grainy image on the screen in the "best" cases...) to "barely watchable". I have no doubt about the fact that these LDs were expensive (even when released) and could have a certain interest for collectors... but not in this shape. :(

Most of them early U.K. releases ended up "speckled"

Should be ok with most of the the later ones though.

Ones to definately avoid are Sony DADC (I think I've got that right) pressings, the 90's Columbia Tristar ones are notorious for rot.

I usedf to have about 500 LD's, a few years ago I had 3 machines break down on the space of a couple of months and I decided enough was enough and sold the majority of them.

i've still got a few nice Japanese ones and some signed ones stashed away which I will more than likely be selling in the near future.
Posted Image

Kenneth M
Star Member
From my understanding the HLD-X9 can play through all laser rot... :unsure:

Posted Image

Can't verify this, though.

Godzilla-2000
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Wow what a machine :o
Home of Fantastic Cinema

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Laserdiscs · Next Topic »
Add Reply