Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ken Russel's The Devils uncut?
Topic Started: Jul 23 2010, 01:35 AM (3,725 Views)
Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
I've seen this DVD on HKflix and on eBay. It's from an American bootleg company called Euro Cult but they claim it's the uncut version of the film. To the best of my knowledge this has never been released before. So I'm wondering if this is off another uncut European or Asian release, is it a homemade fan-edit, or is it just not true??

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.542592/qx/details.htm

Wiki says:

Quote:

The Devils faced harsh reaction from national film rating systems, due to its disturbing violent, sexual, and religious content; it was banned in several countries, and heavily-edited upon release in others. The film has never received a release in its original, uncut form in various countries, and is largely unavailable in the home video market.

- don't tell me; Wiki is crap but still. Is this DVD uncut?
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kiba
Member Avatar
[ * ]
afaik, the UK VHS from Warner was used as a basis and two (of the rediscovered) scenes from the "Hell on Earth" Documentary were included. For some reason, the bone-scene (featured in the Documentary) wasn't included. So actually it's a longer version, but still one scene is missing.

btw...In spain there's a DVD coming out.
http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=Ne...ticle&sid=27096

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Thanks, Kiba! Do you know if that Spanish DVD will be uncut? I see it says it'll carry the English audio.
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

petcor80
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
one store claims it's the 111 min version, another 103 minutes :rolleyes:

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
From what i can recall, the composite version i made (indeed, using the Warner 'Maverick Directors' label release version as my base print) originally only had ONE scene reinstated from the documentary and that was the 'Rape of Christ' scene. The other footage that i had wanted to resinstate (the 'charred bone fellatio') had Vanessa Redgrave voice-over on it so i didn't bother at the time (although, after the fact, i realised i could have simply loosened the scart and it would have kept the picture but lsot the audio). EURO CULT (bootleg label) bootlegged the ALPHA DIGITAL (or ANGEL DIGITAL?) bootleg release (a Luminous Film & Video Wurks bootleg label) which was, in turn, a converted and compressed bootleg of the original 2-Disc PAL format composite & extras disc that i created! It is worth noting also that the original DVD-R sleeve design my friend created for it used my text too, which stated PLAINLY and SIMPLY that whilst footage had been restored to the composite it was still NOT uncut but was basically a "near-complete" edit and the longest version ever assembled for home-viewing...
So...what did LFVW do? They bought a DVD-R copy of the 2-Disc set from my friend's website, squeezed all of the 65+ minutes of extras from the supplement disc onto the same disc as the composite, made it anamorphic, converted it from PAL to NTSC and no doubt also compressed it all too...oh, and they also claimed on their packaging that the film was complete and uncut for the firs time ever...even though i had made it very clear that this was NOT the case!

Anyway...i eagerly await feedback on the Spanish DVD release version as to what edit was used, whether it is a remastered and fully scoped print, etc...so, please post here whenever one of you get it!!!

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Someone mentioned on a forum the other day that they contacted someone at the Spanish website offering it for pre-order and asked about a running time and other details on the release. Apparently, this person was told that the back of the sleeve states the running time as 103 minutes....?

Geten
Member Avatar
[ * ]
I have ordered it, but it hasn't arrived yet. Will get back with info when it does.

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
According to posts made at Iain Fisher's site, someone who has received and checked their Spanish DVD release of Ken Russell's "THE DEVILS" has confirmed this much: NO restored footage...in fact, the version on the disc is just over 103 minutes (the heavily cut U.S. version) but is decent quality and in full 2.35:1 oar (albeit, non-anamorphic, which explains why it was listed as 2.35:1 and also 4:3)...

Frustrating, especially seeing as Warner prepared a remastered version of the UK theatrical edit back in the mid-1990s which could and should have been used, but still...at least it is 2.35:1 finally and hopefully a composite can be done!

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Anyone got the Spanish DVD yet then?
If so, please PM me...;)

Geten
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Mine arrived today, its 103 min and 40 sec.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DVD, VCD & Blu-Ray · Next Topic »
Add Reply