Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Senator (Iran, 1983); Iranian action/crime
Topic Started: Mar 1 2011, 03:54 PM (1,791 Views)
Ninja Dixon
[ * ]
One of my most interesting DVD-purchases ever is this crime movie from 1983, directed by Mehdi Sabagh-Zadeh. It's the traditional story about a good boy getting involved with criminals and everything is fucked-up. It's about drug-smuggling, corrupted politicians and is actually quite good. The action and visual style of the movie reminds me of some cheaper European crime flick, and for being an Iranian movie it feels quite radical. I've never seen the DVD again (it's an Iranian DVD, with English subtitles) but if you find, buy it!
http://ninjadixon.blogspot.com
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

magnus
Star Member
This sounds very interesting!
Have you seen the early film BOYCOTT (1985) by the Iranian master-director Mohsen Makhmalbaf? Fantastic film, high octane action, grim and powerfull, carchases and all! Just like this one did for you, the style in parts reminded me of euro-crime flicks, with a political force behind it.
Anyone know of more good Iranian films in this style? Ive seen many Iranian films, but apart from a couple of warfilms, nothing like this...

Ninja Dixon
[ * ]
To be honest, this is the only Iranian movie I've seen! But that one you mention sounds really interesting. Is it out on DVD somewhere?

Here's a scan of my DVD of The Senator.

Posted Image

magnus
Star Member
Looks cool! and even has a contact-address on the sleeve, might give it a try...
Boycott is released on dvd by, if i remember right, Facets, unfortunally their releases are usually expensive + not partcullary good ones, but what can you do? Makhmalbaf is a quite famous and respected director (i suppose unlike Sabagh-Zadeh, who turned up very little on a net-search) so should not be impossble to find i suppose. I can also very highly recommend his later films, not at all action/genre-cimena, but some of the most unique, gripping and compelling ones ive seen, CYCLIST, THE PEDDLER, GABBEH, SALAM CINEMA etc.

Ninja Dixon
[ * ]
There's a trailer on the DVD, I could rip it and try to put it on youtube if you're interested?

And I need to get movies by this director, you're talking about!

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Ninja Dixon
Mar 2 2011, 05:42 AM
I could rip it and try to put it on youtube if you're interested?

Absolutely!
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

Ninja Dixon
[ * ]
I'll do my best :)

ajji
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
CRIMSON GOLD (Talaye sorkh, 2003) is also an interesting crime drama (no action, though), very well made. It reminded me of those cool Jean-Pierre Melville crime films.

magnus
Star Member
Yes, all films by the director, Jafar Panahi, are quite brilliant. Unfortunally hes been sentanced to 6 years in prison and 20 years of professional ban due to making films the Irani priests doesnt like... i suppose particulary the one about female soccerfans. A shame!

Jon Houghton
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Ninja Dixon
Mar 1 2011, 07:33 PM
To be honest, this is the only Iranian movie I've seen! But that one you mention sounds really interesting. Is it out on DVD somewhere?

Here's a scan of my DVD of The Senator.

Posted Image

Where in the world did you find that wonderful looking DVD? Looks like something I would be very interested in.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Latin American, African & Arabic Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply