Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Movies from Iran
Topic Started: Mar 8 2012, 08:46 PM (2,383 Views)
Jared
Member Avatar
Star Member
See "Heroes of the Land". Cuneyt!
Worldweird Cinema
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Jared
Mar 28 2012, 02:54 PM

Jared, the link doesnt work...., by the way, you seem to be rather "informed" on bizarre cinema..., this is not the right thread but, do you konw by any chance latin american or spanish america bizarre movies?

thanks... :P
Quote Post Goto Top

L.A.
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Dokhtar-e Lor / The Lor Girl (1932)

The first sound film ever to be produced in the Persian language. Would love to see this restored and released on DVD.

Jared
Member Avatar
Star Member
alfred
Mar 28 2012, 03:27 PM
Jared
Mar 28 2012, 02:54 PM

Jared, the link doesnt work...., by the way, you seem to be rather "informed" on bizarre cinema..., this is not the right thread but, do you konw by any chance latin american or spanish america bizarre movies?

thanks... :P

Fixed!
I don't know nearly enough about Latin American films, alfred. I've always had my eye more on European and Asian films. I know the stuff everyone knows: "Coffin Joe", the 60s Mexican gothics, Emilio Veirya, etc.
The middle eastern stuff is really fascinating to me right now. I met someone online how's hooked me up with some rare stuff. I hope to get more from him soon, including some very rare Iranian genre films!
Worldweird Cinema

Jared
Member Avatar
Star Member
L.A.
Mar 28 2012, 06:43 PM
Dokhtar-e Lor / The Lor Girl (1932)

The first sound film ever to be produced in the Persian language. Would love to see this restored and released on DVD.

Very interesting. Thanks for that, Lasse. Iranian cinema seems to have been quite vital up until the '79 revolution, when state censorship put a lid on any film that might have been at all fun. It seems to be an area ripe for rediscovery. Although the hope for a restoration of any of these movies seems a distant one.
Worldweird Cinema

jnfernal
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Unfortunately ALL the iranian movies prior to 1979 are officially banned by the government. Some of them circulate in the black market on home made dvd-r but most of them went destroyed by the religious censorship.

I went to the musem of iranian cinema in Tehran and I found all the contraddictions of the islamic government: posters and reliquias of old cinema everywhere, including the first movie with sound, "The lor girl" and hundred others: spy, thriller, action, 007, dramas, rural dramas, 1001 nights inspired fairytales....

There were also a lot of photos of old actress with miniskirt and no hearscarf, drinking and smoking and kissing men on the covers of 70's magazines...

but...but....the movies are forbidden, they can't circulate and they're kept in the archives of the censorship office (at least, those survived)....it's a contraddiction as Iran is so proud of its cinema and its past, photos witness glorious times during the 60's and 70's (it looked like being in Europe) and people, expecially women, looked free and informal as in western countries....but now, of that glorious past still one important thing is missing: the movies themselves...

The guy who;s running the shop, in the beautiful park of the museum can find a 30-40 titles, on blank dvd-r without titles, you can get in touch with him...they cost a bit (around 3/4 euros each for a dvd-r....) but it's one of the few way to access these titles. None of the movies shot before 1979 can circulate in normal dvd shops in Iran,,,they are forbidden and those who spread them go 100% to jail. Only a few of them were released from the archives because the muslim government found they fitted the principles of the post-1979 criteria set for any movies: morality, positive messages, no woman in libertine pose and all wearing headscarf (seems stupid but most of movies were destroyed just because of this reason!) and blah blah blah...

Here are some titles from the 50 up to 1979 (all action/spy/007/dramas/thriller/horror/mafia/fantasy). Some titles are in farsi, some in arabic....don't ask me which one are in farsi and wich one are in arabic because the letters are the same but there is the same difference between french and albanian langiages !

SOME MOVIES FROM IRAN 1950-1979:

Aghaye hayoola/Mr. Monster
Ahrimane ziba/The beautiful devil
Al baljoom/Al taaweeza
Almaas 33/Diamond 33/ الماس ۳۳
Amore e sangue a Esfahan/Appointment in Eshafan/Hashem Khan
Aras Khan/اراس خان
Atash-e jonoob/آتش جنوب (DVD)
Ayyubi
Az faryad ta teror/ از فریاد تا ترور (DVD)
Babre koohestan/The mountain tiger
Babre Mazandaran/The tiger of Mazandaran
Bazgasht be zendegi/Return to life
Bonbast/Dead end
Boof-e koor/The blind owl/بوف الالكترونيه جوقه
Boose bar labhaye khoonin/The kiss on blood lips
Break the spell
Chahar rahe havades/The crossroad of events
Dar shahr khabari nist/در شهر خبری نیست (DVD)
Dashte sorkh/دشت سرخ (DVD)
Delhoreh/Anxiety
Djen/Djinn/Demon
Dokhtari az Shiraz/A girl from Shiraz
Ensane prandeh/The flying man
Eshq va entegham/Love and vengeance
Esyan/Rebellion
Etteham/Accusation
Ezterab/Anxiety
Farman Khan
Faryade dehkadeh/The cry of the village
Faryade nimeshab/The midnight terror
Fatehin e-Sahra/Desert conquerors
Franco Ciccio-ya vatani/Iranian Ciccio & Franco
Gharibeh va meh/Stranger and the fog/غریبه و مه (Iranian DVD www.iranianmovies.com)
Ghasede behesht/A messenger from heaven
Gheisar/Caesar/قیصر (Iranian DVD www.iranianmovies.com)
Ghiam/تحرريه
Ghoul-e-mard/Man's promise
Gorgehaye goronesh/Hungry wolves
Hell
Hengameh/Tumult
Hevdah ruz be edam/17 days to execution
Hezar bar mordan/ هزار بار مردن (Iranian DVD www.iranianmovies.com)
Jaddeh marg/Highway of death
Jaddeh ye tabahkaran/Gangster's road
Jahannam-e sefid/The white hell
Jane Bond 008 operation Karachi
Kalagh/Crow/The raven/کلاغ
Kaminghae sheitan/Hideaway of the devil
Kelid/The key
Kheshm va faryad/Anger and screaming
Khodahafez Tehran/Goodbye Tehran
Khoon va sharaf/Blood and honor
Koose-ye jonoob/The shark of the south
Mamur-e 0008/Agent 0008 (Ibrahim Bagheri)
Mamur-e 114/Agent 114 (Ismail Pour Said)
Marde do chehreh/Man with two faces/ مرد دو چهره
Mardi as Esfahan/Man from Esfahan
Marg dar baran/Death in the rain
Mootalaie share ma/The blonde woman of our town
Morvarid siah/The black pearl
Nabarde ghoolha/The war of the giants
Na’reye toofan/Storm bellow
Panjeh/The claw
Panjomin savar-e sarnevesht/The fifth horseman of the apocalypse
Partgahe makhouf/Frightening canyon
Pesare darya/Son of the sea
Sadegh korde/صادق کرده
Sarkesh/The mutineer
Sarsam/Delirium
Sayehaye bolande bad/Tall shadows of the wind/سایه های بلند باد
Sattar khan/ستار خان
Saye/Shadow
Sayyadane namakzar/Hunters of the salt desert
Seh nokhaleh dar Japan/Three tricksters in Japan (Muhammad Tavassolani)
Setarei cheshmak zad/A star twinkled
Shab e ghozi/Night of the hunchback
Shab neshini dar jahannam/A party in hell
Sheitane sefid/The white devil
Sowdagarane marg/Merchants of death
Taghibe khatarnak/The dangerous chase
Talaye sefid/White gold/ طلای سفید
Tangna/Tangsir/تنگنا (Iranian DVD w/english sub www.iranianmovies.com)
Tare ankabout/The cobweb
Tars va tariky/Fear and darkness
That man from Teheran/Wadi ul mawt/Mardy az Tehran/وادي يذكره/ مردی از تهران (Iranian DVD www.iranianmovies.com)
The true/صادق كرده
Toofan dar shahre ma/Storm in our town
Vahshat/Horror
Valedeh agha Mostafa/والده آقا مصطفی (DVD)
Vasvaseye sheitan/Temptation of Satan
Waiting
Yek ghadam ta marg/One step to death
Yeki boud yeki naboud/Once upon a time
Zamine talkh/The bitter earth
Zan va arousakhayash/The woman and her dolls
Zanburak/The running canon/The falconet
Zarbat/The strike (Samuel Khachikian, 1964, Armenia)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Latin American, African & Arabic Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply