Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
HK/Thai SNAKE QUEEN movie?
Topic Started: Apr 16 2012, 11:50 AM (4,403 Views)
Godzilla-2000
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Great!

The original Thai version was most likely over 140 minutes long. Sadly the Chinese/English version seems to be all what's remaining from the film.
Home of Fantastic Cinema
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jnfernal
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
ah, ok, so the vcd i found is the thai movie

Godzilla-2000
Member Avatar
[ * ]
You sure Francesco?

My remark was in regard of Shootgringoshoot's tape.

It's been ages since I saw it, but your VCD looks more like "The Snake Girl" ("Teeda sok puos") with Dy Saveth to my eyes (judging just by looking at the cover of course).

I find it hard to believe a Thai company would put pictures of Angkor Wat on the cover of a THAI movie.

The VCD also displays a different Thai title compared to the "Mae ngu" poster.

Also, the Thai version of the film "Lady Master Snake"/"Snake Queen"/"Mae ngu" remains unreleased on home video in Thailand itself as far as I know. It's even said to be lost by available sources (they, however, might not be accurate either).

Home of Fantastic Cinema

Sweeney Todd
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Here are the complete informations on the SNAKE QUEEN posted by Shootgringoshoot. It's in fact a Taiwanese 1972 movie (shot in Thailand) according to HK Film Database:

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=10227&display_set=eng
Edited by Sweeney Todd, Jan 8 2017, 06:11 PM.

Godzilla-2000
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Almost the entire cast of this film is Thai (not no names, but famous actors/actresses like Chaiya Suriyan, Aranya Namwong, Metta Rungrat, Sukon Koewliam/Sukhon Khioliam, Sawin Sawangrat, Sithao Petcharoen, Nat Phuwanai (of Sompote Saengduenchai's "Crocodile") and Lor Tok are all among the cast), and the real director (and producer) of the film is Snan Charussilp (Sanan Jaratsin; a Thai name) as stated by the Chinese lobby cards on page one of this thread.

IMHO this is very much a Thai film and very little of a Taiwanese/HK film (if at all).

My theory goes more like this:

This was a 2 1/2-hours long Thai film (that may or may not have had some Taiwanese/HK money involved in the production) which was picked up for distribution in Taiwan and Hong Kong in a heavily shortened, Chinese and English dubbed version. The Chinese/English version doesn't include any of the songs said to be in the original Thai version, and probably removes about one hour of footage.

From HK/Taiwan, the English dubbed version of the film also found its way to Indonesia.
Edited by Godzilla-2000, Jan 8 2017, 07:24 PM.
Home of Fantastic Cinema

Sweeney Todd
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Yes, you are probably right - and the problematic question is about the current existence of the original Thai version...
The same site also mentions 1983 for "Crocodile Men" with Dy Saveth, but it was probably made years ago if it was a copro with Cambodia !

Godzilla-2000
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Indeed, I also think the current existence of the Thai version is highly questionable. :(

As for "The Crocodile Men", I saw 1972, 1974, 1976, and 1983 mentioned as the year of production.
It clearly looks like it was filmed in Cambodia (rather than Taiwan), which more or less rules out 1976 (Khmer Rouge era).

What would you estimate is the right year? I'd stick with 1972 for the time being.

1983 is a very questionable production year for a supposed-to-be-Cambodian film I think hardly any films were made in Cambodia at that time.
Edited by Godzilla-2000, Jan 8 2017, 11:10 PM.
Home of Fantastic Cinema

Sweeney Todd
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Yes, and moreover Dy Saveth was in France in the early 1980s, certainly not in Cambodia...
The correct date must be circa 1972/73, but of course this must be verified. Let's hope that Miss Saveth herself could clarify the problem...
Incidentally the Wikipedia page on Dy Saveth lists "Crocodile Men" twice, in 1974 and 1983:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dy_Saveth
Edited by Sweeney Todd, Jan 9 2017, 12:08 AM.

jnfernal
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
The only solution to check what kind of movie is the one I found on VCD is to get in touch with my friend in Bangkok who has it now

I'm on travel in Malaysia now so I can't go his home (I left Thailand 3 days ago) and I could never check the VCD, just bought it and gave it away before leaving Thailand.

And....we can easily exclude 1983 as a productive year for cambodian movies. There has been no movie production at all since the very late 80's, not even that "My mother is Arb" which was clearly a joke.

Possibly 1983 is the date of release of the VHS in China.
As you can see in many thai VCD there are 2 dates listed: year of production of the VCD and year of expiring copyrights for that VCD. No original movie release year is given.
So that could have been the same: 1983 could have been the release year of the vhs in China.

ThaiWorldView
[ * ]
Of course the Thai version is real. You can see it in Thai Film Archives. Some pictures here http://www.thaifilm.com/imgUpload/reply1163201_Image-18.jpg and http://www.thaifilm.com/imgUpload/reply1163151_Image-14.jpg
Edited by ThaiWorldView, Apr 19 2018, 02:39 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Asian Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply