Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Flea markets: what is worth saving?
Topic Started: May 5 2013, 07:31 PM (42,027 Views)
candela
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
I regularly go to flea markets in Belgium (and Holland) and often see VHS tapes being sold for peanuts. 99% is disney and mainstream crap but sometimes I actually see some movies that I own myself on DVD. However, I have no idea if the VHS versions are worth buying and making sure they receive a home with an actual VHS collector (I only collect DVD myself). I really hate seeing these tapes ending up in a trash bin when somewhere someone is actually looking for these things. Now of course if I would see something like a Mario Bava or spaghetti western tape (hasn't actually happened :)) I would not hesitate and buy it instantly. But what about 80s action stuff like Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris, Cynthia Rothrock, etc. (the things I see most often). Judging from the excellent condition these tapes are in I assume they are sell through and not rental versions.

Some examples of movies I saw this weekend:
Alley Cat (1984) [was actually a rental with photocopied cover]
Enemy Territory (1987)
Fist Fighter (1989)
Lipstick (1976)

Some stuff I took home in the past:
Posted Image

Is there some general rule to follow, what is interesting and what not? Seeing they practically give away these tapes for free, price is not an issue. However I don't want to take them home and then be stuck with them forever
DVD Collection
European Adult VHS/DVD releases
Cult Actors: Identified
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

candela
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
I've started buying VHS the last few weeks on flea markets. Here's what I have found so far

Posted Image Posted Image

Although I bought them with the intent rescuing them from the garbage bin, now I'm tempted to start collecting VHS :). I love the cover art on some of them. However they take up so much space and my room is already piled with DVDs. So I'll guess I will sell everything that is available DVD. And possibly trying to convert the ones that aren't on DVD.
DVD Collection

candela
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
The top row of VHS, including The Beasts, I got from the same guy. He got them from a neighbour who apparently had a room full of those things and was getting rid of them as he was switching to DVD. He had a few more ex-rentals with him (more mainstream stuff like 1984 and Screwballs) but he said he had lot's more stuff at home which he was willing to bring next time. So hopefully the weather next weekend is ok and I'll be scoring big time, lol :)

I don't know why that second picture stopped working, I'll reupload in the weekend.

Is there a DVD of The Beasts since it seems to be a popular VHS for some reason. The cover is hideous but the movie appears to be cool. Never heard of it before
DVD Collection

candela
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Gastkramad
Jun 11 2013, 06:34 PM
Really nice tapes! Just wondering, what movie is "The Man From the Organisation"?

Can't check now but I think it was Street People http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074494/
DVD Collection

candela
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
candela
Jun 11 2013, 07:55 AM
The top row of VHS, including The Beasts, I got from the same guy. He got them from a neighbour who apparently had a room full of those things and was getting rid of them as he was switching to DVD. He had a few more ex-rentals with him (more mainstream stuff like 1984 and Screwballs) but he said he had lot's more stuff at home which he was willing to bring next time. So hopefully the weather next weekend is ok and I'll be scoring big time, lol :)

Well I met with the guy and it was rather disappointing. Most of what he brought was sell-through, recent american movies and not interesting at all. Anyway I have his email and he'll contact me should he get more interesting stuff. Here are the VHS I found today on the flea market. Nothing special I guess

Posted Image

However I did find some other interesting items
DVD Collection

candela
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
arivhs
Jun 16 2013, 05:21 PM
those super 8 movies are really cool! and i agree with the bruce lee one Really nice find!

I cant help but wonder which flea markets still have these? :o

I'm simply visiting local flea markets and garage sales, there are dozens each weekend all over Belgium.

- I've seen super8 before 1 or 2 times but nothing interesting like today.

- VHS you see quite a lot but ex-rental of anything remotely interesting is uncommon

- VideoCD is also uncommon and when you find them it's always the same movies like Top Gun . These are usually sellers that also have "games" for the amazing Philips CD-i (which I also collect since many of them are FMV garbage with bad acting) Most of my VCD collection is in this picture (quite pathetic :))

- I've never seen Betamax movies (couple of times I did see a player)

- I've never seen Laserdisc player or movies

- DVD: lot's of them but nothing even remotely interesting. I don't even bother looking at most boxes anymore
DVD Collection

candela
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
arivhs
Jun 17 2013, 09:10 PM
not every flea market here in holland is free, so i kinda stopped going to them since i never find anything of interest.
Definately never seen super 8 or laserdiscs and cant recall video cds either. I think most people still sell that through the likes of marktplaats or ebay.

I would say your time at flea markets has been pretty rewarding and makes me think twice about it. Maybe i should go visit them again :)

In Belgium the indoor ones are not free but the outdoor ones during the summer are. So far I've found much more stuff at outdoor ones. They are usually much bigger so the chance to find something is much larger. And you can visit several markets in 1 day without spending a small fortune on entry fees. I must say I have been particularly lucky in the last month. I doubt this luck will continue :)
DVD Collection

candela
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Today's catch

Posted Image

Unfortunately it was raining today and "rain + stupid people + VHS = very bad combination" so the 4 VHS in the top row of the picture have serious water damage on the covers (you can see only a bit of it on the picture). I'm afraid to take the covers out to have them dry because they'll probably tear apart. What's the best way to deal with it? Just dont touch them?

Also funny, the tape of "Wild and beautiful on Ibiza " is still factory sealed in plastic .
DVD Collection

candela
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Today's fleamarket catch

Posted Image

Except Black Stallion and the Tiroler sex comedies all from the same guy who, for some strange reason, also had a bunch of Italian VHS. He said he had more stuff though. I'll email him and hopefully he'll send me some pictures (but he was a peculiar fellow and he was saying kind of weird things about his internet connection so I dunno if that will work :))

Again water damage but only on Deense Snoepjes (unfortunately since it's one of the best tiroler sex comedy in my opinion)

I dried the previous covers, even though I put some heavy books on them, the wrinkles didn't come completely out. Also the stains are still somewhat visible, depending on the cover colour
DVD Collection

candela
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
shootgringoshoot
Jun 29 2013, 04:33 PM
very nice! if the guy has some westerns on italian vhs, i might pay you a good price for them!

Would be nice but he probably doesn't. Every movie I saw today was either a comedy or an action film. But let's hope he has some more cool stuff

Also, I was cleaning some boxes which were dirty and I noticed there is white fungus inside some tapes ! Anything you can do about that?

Also, the box of "La Leggenda del Rubino Malese" contains a wrong tape, it's some home made Rai uno recording. Of course it's the tape I was most interested in to compare against the crappy german DVD :(

Also some of the covers have had water damage in the past, but have since dried again. It only became obvious when I was cleaning the boxes.
DVD Collection

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · VHS / Beta / Video2000 · Next Topic »
Add Reply