Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Your favourite Shaw Brothers - movies
Topic Started: Nov 9 2013, 06:17 PM (1,591 Views)
Mads
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
A lot of great Shaw classics mentioned here, I think Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan should be on the list of essentials. It's surely one of my favorites.

And Heroes Two - Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock released it with an excellent commentary by Linn Haynes (R.I.P. - sorely missed) that includes a lot of information and would be a great starting point for anyone with an interest in Shaw Brothers/Chang Cheh kung fu films.

Also Heroes of the East and Legendary Weapons of China, both directed by the great Liu Chia-Liang who passed away recently, are highly recommended.

The One-Armed Swordsman films are essential viewing too although mostly because the first one has historical significance within the kung fu genre. Part 2 (Return of the One-Armed Swordsman) is also highly entertaining and the third is basically more of the same.
Danish tapes for trade
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bubikoglu
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Jack J
Nov 12 2013, 10:16 PM
It shits me that Celestial cancelled their release of the sequel to The Drug Connection aka The Sexy Killer 1976 which is called Lady Exterminator. It only exists on an awful bootleg that was filmed off a cinema screen. I would have loved to see a proper print. It's a pretty good follow-up to Drug Connection/Sexy Killer.

Are you referring to the English dubbed, Arabic print? I have a DVD-R of that too and you're right, it's terrible! Pity as it's also one of my most wanted Shaws...perhaps one day it'll be screened on the Celestial channel?

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Yes, that's the one. It's missing info on all sides cos it's clearly filmed off a cinema screen.

There was at least one fucked up bootlegger who advertised having the film and sold a boot with a cover from it (taken from the HKMDB site) but the film on the dvd is the Indonesian film by the same title!! The Eva Arnaz film. :wacko:

http://backyard-asia.blogspot.dk/2012/08/w...s-go-wrong.html
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

bubikoglu
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Jack J
Nov 15 2013, 02:25 AM
Yes, that's the one. It's missing info on all sides cos it's clearly filmed off a cinema screen.

There was at least one fucked up bootlegger who advertised having the film and sold a boot with a cover from it (taken from the HKMDB site) but the film on the dvd is the Indonesian film by the same title!! The Eva Arnaz film. :wacko:

Coincidentally, that Danish release of Lady Exterminator is one of my most wanted tapes! :o

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
bubikoglu
Nov 15 2013, 09:16 PM
Jack J
Nov 15 2013, 02:25 AM

There was at least one fucked up bootlegger who advertised having the film and sold a boot with a cover from it (taken from the HKMDB site) but the film on the dvd is the Indonesian film by the same title!! The Eva Arnaz film.  :wacko:

Coincidentally, that Danish release of Lady Exterminator is one of my most wanted tapes! :o

I'm not selling mine. :P
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

Inspector Tanzi
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Takuma
Nov 11 2013, 03:44 AM
No one has mentioned Men from the Gutter (1983)! Easily one of my top-10 Shaws, a very badass modern day action thriller

Posted Image

Great stuff, full on B)
Posted Image

Inspector Tanzi
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
bubikoglu
Nov 10 2013, 06:04 PM
If you liked Lost Souls then it sounds like you'd prefer the more horror / exploitation tinged Shaws, in which case some good horror/fantasy starting points are:

(titles in bold are, in my opinion, essential viewing for anyone newly into Shaw Bros films)

Bamboo House of Dolls
Black Magic I & II
Killer Snakes
Battle Wizard
Bloody Parrot
Seeding of a Ghost
Boxer's Omen
Web of Death
Bewitched

...and not forgetting Haunted Tales, sadly a VCD only release.
Posted Image

okerlo
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Ha I almost forget this thread, but yesterday I finally ordered Men from the Gutter and Black Magic 1 both as HK-DVDs so thank you very much for you recommendations!

This thread definitely deserves a push.

Greetings,
okerlo

okerlo
Member Avatar
[ * ]
I just watched "Men from the Gutter" and I really liked that one, thank you for your recommendation.
Next one on my to-watch-list is "Black Magic 1", I bought the IVL / Celestial - DVD of it.
Speaking of "Men from the Gutter", which other movies made by Lam Nai-Choi, besides of Story of Ricky, can you recommend?

Ok, this is a little bit more widespread than only Shaw Brothers productions but lets don't get too picky here. To remind you which movies he made, here is the hkmdb link.

Greetings

edkrak
Member Avatar
[ * ]
okerlo
Jun 24 2014, 07:50 PM
Speaking of "Men from the Gutter", which other movies made by Lam Nai-Choi, besides of Story of Ricky, can you recommend?

Lam Nai-Choi (or whatever's his name, I usually see him being called Ngai Kai Lam) is an amazing filmmaker! I can honestly recommend most of his filmography, my favorites being "The Cat" & "Peacock King".
Contact me if you have any copy of "Making Waves" (1994) directed by George Saunders.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · Asian Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply