Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
indonesian vcd's
Topic Started: Oct 11 2016, 12:18 PM (755 Views)
okerlo
Member Avatar
[ * ]
(time=)
Sweeney Todd
Jan 10 2017, 09:08 AM
I got a lot of original VCDs from Malaysia several years ago, including all the available Pontianak titles. By precaution (as I don't know if these VCDs will survive through the years) I copied them on DVD-rs.
you have a very interesting point there, was talking with somebody about this a few days ago.
I have been recording some indonesian laserdiscs to dvdr lately ..... also the laserdiscs slowly show signs of rot!
I can imagen that the vcd's also have a life cycle not so long. in max 10years these vcd's wont play anymore ..... same for dvdr's. probably the best way to transfer the movies is too safe them on a usb stick ....... than again can we read usb sticks in 20years? 20years ago people used too safe there data on floppy disks .... what computer today can still read floppy disks?
This is a problem that probably all archives or people who want to backup their data face: will I still be able to use this particular hardware in a given time from now on? How long will this hardware work? How much redundancy do I really need?

In the end it comes down to financial issues I guess, everyone is responsible for his own stuff and needs to see how much he is willing to spend. I guess the point of digital archives is to always move the data from one place to the next (read: probably better) hardware and always keep this flow going.

For a private person who wants to backup some VCDs? I would suggest burn them on a DVD-r and put the VCD on a hard disk drive or two. Another aspect to keep in mind is to store the backups at several places, not everything in one house for instance, maybe you can store a hdd at a friend or so, maybe you'll need it someday.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Asian Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply