Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
HELP: German translation
Topic Started: Jan 29 2017, 12:08 AM (101 Views)
Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Posted Image Posted Image

I discovered the Belgian comic books about Inspector Canardo last summer. The series began in the late 70's in the French comic book (a suivre) and in 1981 they began to publish an annual album (graphic novel). I'm located in Denmark and the series was published here in the early 80's but got cancelled after #5. I don't read French so there's no point in getting hold of the French/Belgian comic books. However, fortunately the good people of Deutschland have been publishing the series all the way through and are up-to-date so I've begun to order the German books via Amazon (they're an arm and a leg - they're totally ripping me off!). I read fairly well German (don't ask me to write the bloody lingo, though - too much funny grammar!) but once in a while there's a term that gives me a headache. Usually, I'm able to look it up or I skip the phrase. Yesterday, I received a new issue ("new" to me anyway) and there's a piece of dialogue I simply can't capisce! And it's the very last comment in the story even so it's pretty annoying. Can any of you help me out here? Thanks.

The Dialogue goes like this:

Wollen Sie nicht wissen, ob sie beissen? [You wanna know if they bite?]
Nein [no]
? [?]
Eine ist wie die andere, was!? [They're all the same, eh!?]
Alles schnepfen!! [???]
Jaja, das ist wahr! [Yeah, that's true]

"Alles schnepfen"??? What's Canardo actually saying? What would be a good translation?

My dictionary says: Schnepfe = Woman, hooker, snipe (bird).

Posted Image
Edited by Jack J, Jan 29 2017, 12:11 AM.
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

okerlo
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Without any context of the scene I would say that your translation is already pretty spot on.
"Eine ist wie die andere, was?" is about women and Canardo replies with a "Alles Schnepfen!", Schnepfe is a curse word for women. Why this is the case is probably something for linguistics but the bird Schnepfe looks quite eh... arrogant or however you wanna put it :D

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Haha.

Thanks, Okerlo! :hello!:
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Non-Movie Talking · Next Topic »
Add Reply