Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing the Ultimate 3D Community as a guest. This means that you can only read posts, but can not create posts or topics by yourself. To be able to post you need to register. Then you can participate in the community active and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you are already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ultimate 3D Vegetation Creator; A little utility for creating bushes
Topic Started: Jan 17 2008, 06:03 PM (2,735 Views)
Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi everybody,

today the Ultimate 3D Vegetation Creator has been released on Ultimate3D.org . It's just a little utility I made for creating the vegetation in the last room of the Ultimate 3D 2.0 Tech Demo, though you may find it useful. The functionality of the program is very limited and I do not plan on extending it. Also, the GUI is kept very simplistic. All you can do with this utility is creating bushes on a terrain.

You supply it with some input information and then it creates a terrain with a given number of bushes placed on it. The bushes automatically use a vertex shader, which makes them move in the wind. Once they look the way you want them to look you can make the Vegetation Creator save the bushes to a number of Ultimate 3D model files. You can load those into your game then, to have vegetation on your terrain. Since each bush model contains only the bushes within a particular area, bushes that are too far away can be set to invisible, to make rendering more efficient.

The use of this utility is described in detail in the Help.htm, that comes with the download. I hope this will be of use for some of you. Don't expect too much from it though ;) . Please don't do requests for additional features for this utility. Actually I made this only to create the bushes for the Tech Demo. Creating bushes is the only purpose of this utility. If you want to do anything different you'll need to get another program :D .

Any feedback is appreciated,
with friendly regards,
Dr. Best

P.S.: This program requires the Microsoft .net 2.0 framework to work. This framework can be downloaded from Ultimate3D.org, as well.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LaserLemon
Member Avatar
Sir
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
About to download, sounds nice though, suddenly I regret my Contamination game being set in a city. :P
Posted Image

Formerly known as FaTaL_N00B.

Eansis
Member Avatar
ghost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
What's a city without foliage? :D
VOTE FOR BUDDY ROEMER HE'S A STRAIGHTFORWARD, DOWN TO EARTH AMERICAN GUY WHO ISN'T PART OF THE BIGBROTHER CONSPIRACY

Til'c

Things will not calm down Daniel Jackson. They will infact calm up.

Rixeno
Member Avatar
Teo-Carliss
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
It's nice and simple ;) ... I like it!
Report spam the nanosecond you see it.
Ninjas are everywhere, for all you know there are eleven behind you right now, including me...

$pecter
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Is this my fault?
Posted Image
It happened right after I clicked 'create'.

Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
$pecter
Jan 17 2008, 11:18 PM
Is this my fault?
It happened right after I clicked 'create'.

Oops. I guess I have forgotten to remove an absolute path from the *.ufx file there :lol: . I will fix this tomorrow. Until then you can also correct it by yourself. Just open the *.ufx file and remove the absolute path (leaving only the "effects/Vegetation.vsh"). Thanks for reporting this.

omen
[ * ]
can someone make a little example of how to get this working in my game (i cant seem to get the code from the :U3D: techdemo to work in my game) thanks :thumb_up:

Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sorry, but I really don't have the time to make an example currently. I barely have the time to get to read everything on the forum ^_^ . Unless somebody else decides to make an example, you will have to live with the code in the Tech Demo. The only object that's really significant in this context is ground_vegetation.

Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quick update: I added a mini feature requested by Terror_Doctrine now. The Vegetation Creator exports a text file with the positions (x, y) of the bush objects now. It's in the same format as the TreePositions.txt from the Tech Demo. The download link is still the same.

Anderen2
Member Avatar
Xinity Entertainment
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hmm :think: , can anyone help me with an code to use this with? I have seen the code in the techdemo but didn't understand it...

Thanks ^_^
-Xinity Entertainment-
Current Project: Xinity Game Devlopment: Assault on Net
Next Project: Xinity Application Devlopment: Switch
Previous Project: eXtreme Server - Gmod Dedicated Server
Status of current project: Assault On Net

Currently busy with school and Android Dev...

Zac1790
GML Expert
[ *  *  * ]
@Andaren
Just make a copy of the ground_vegetation object and delete all the stuff relating to global.room_visible (cause you probably don't have that in your game). Then change the path to the bush models, and make sure SetRoomVisibility(9,1) is called from the camera object after MoveCamera(). Voila!

DmitriV
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Sorry, but I'm not able to download this file. It's protected by a password on a German site... :think:
Newbie in U3D...

Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here's the current link.

« Previous Topic · Works in progress and finished projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply