Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing the Ultimate 3D Community as a guest. This means that you can only read posts, but can not create posts or topics by yourself. To be able to post you need to register. Then you can participate in the community active and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you are already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ultimate 3D 2.1 Tech Demo has been released; The third beta, updated to U3D 2.1
Topic Started: Jan 17 2008, 06:03 PM (7,279 Views)
Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The text below refers to the third beta of the Ultimate 3D 2.0 Tech Demo. The Ultimate 3D 2.1 Tech Demo has been released by now. It is quite similar to the version described below, but it utilizes some of the new features of Ultimate 3D 2.1.

Hi everybody,

it is thus far, the Ultimate 3D 2.0 Tech Demo has reached a state of quality at which it is ready for its first public release. Recently there have been two closed beta releases on the organization forum. The first one was released more than a month ago. Since then some small, but important improvements have been done. Now the endless waiting is over and you can finally download the Tech Demo on Ultimate3D.org. The download is 34 MB in size, so while downloading you may want to get some information about it, by reading this post ;) .

As you probably already know, the Tech Demo is the result of a big teamwork on this community. Twelve members of the community have participated in the teamwork by contributing models and textures. My function was mostly the organization of the teamwork and the coding. Thanks go to everybody who has participated in this project. I have said this before, on the organization forum, but it needs to be said again in public: You have made the realization of an old dream of mine possible.

Now for some facts about the Tech Demo itself. The Tech Demo is made up of nine rooms. Each room highlights particular features. This way the Tech Demo demonstrates almost all features of Ultimate 3D in some way. Since the Tech Demo takes advantage of the portal engine to improve the performance and offers lots of options the minimal system requirements are very low. To get to see the really impressive stuff you should have support for pixel shader model 1.4 though. Only the last room, which features a giant outdoor environment, does require a quite new PC to run on the highest settings. Due to Game Maker's limits the performance in the last room is far away from being perfect.

The Tech Demo download contains editable versions for Game Maker 5.x, 6.x and 7.0 and an executable version. The code in the editable versions is well-commented and the download comes with a ProgrammingNotes.htm, which gives additional help for understanding how the Tech Demo works. All the code and most resources (but not all) are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. This means that, as long as you give credit, you can use these components for your own projects. Anyway, if you use any of the resources, which don't use the CC-BY license (that are the models by Despellanion and Zip and their textures), this is allowed exceptionally in Ultimate 3D Tech Demo mods. The product has to be open-source and non-commercial and it has to be marked as Ultimate 3D Tech Demo modification explicitly.

The download also includes the Tech Demo concept paper. This paper was written by me, to initialize the Tech Demo project. It hasn't been modified since then, so one could use it to compare the plan to the result :D . It is in fact quite similar. One major difference is that there is no character model in the current version of the Tech Demo, although this was planed. The reason is simply that it hasn't been finished yet. The modeling is done, but the animations still need to be done, so it will hopefully be part of the next Tech Demo release.

This version is still a beta for two reasons. The first one is that it's likely that there are still several bugs. One bug is already known from the second beta release but I haven't had the time to fix it yet (see below). The second one is that there are still some features missing, especially the character mode, the baseball bat in room three and some animals in room 9. If you think you've found a bug please report it here. Though, if it's related to the collision detection, please don't report it, since that can't be improved before I've released Ultimate 3D 2.1 ^_^ .

Finally here's a neat collection of screenshots from the Tech Demo:
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I'm looking forward to your feedback,
with friendly regards,
Dr. Best

Known bugs:

• On some graphics devices the clouds in room nine look very pixelated.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

luenardi
Member Avatar
Cofee Machines Rock
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
it's here! it's here!

downloading...
i hope my connection hold's out
Posted Image

For your perception no.
But my universe has no such limits.

www.recall.co.nr

Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, yeah I had to upload it twice, because when I uploaded it for the first time the file became invalid during the process. Now it's working and everyone can get it (as long as he has an internet connection that's fast enough). Downloading took 20 seconds with my internet connection :P .

Eansis
Member Avatar
ghost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
WOW!!! IT WAS LIKE BEING IN A DREAM!!! ^_^

Only a few glitches: The was no baseball bat, car didn't explode, player map collisions were bad (if it is alright, once I finish the DreamSpace DLL I can merge it into the TechDemo), the car mechanics were unrealistic (car was more agile at higher velocities, in real life, this is inverse), the space-time portals didn't work, just made the screen completely empty with random colors flashing, I could walk through some parts of the map.
VOTE FOR BUDDY ROEMER HE'S A STRAIGHTFORWARD, DOWN TO EARTH AMERICAN GUY WHO ISN'T PART OF THE BIGBROTHER CONSPIRACY

Til'c

Things will not calm down Daniel Jackson. They will infact calm up.

liger
[ *  * ]
I'll be the 3nd person to download! :D
Looks great!!! :lol:

Liger

Edit: Vista says that unziping will take 4 hours. <_<

t2403
Member Avatar
moi
[ *  * ]
Really good!! Big applause to all who worked on that great demo :clapping: :clapping:

As Eanbro mentioned above, there were a few glitches, but all in all it was GREAT

Once again I'd like to thank you all ;)

Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Eanbro
Jan 17 2008, 06:16 PM
The was no baseball bat, [...] player map collisions were bad (if it is alright, once I finish the DreamSpace DLL I can merge it into the TechDemo),

This answers these questions:
Dr. Best

The second one is that there are still some features missing, especially the character mode, the baseball bat in room three and some animals in room 9. If you think you've found a bug please report it here. Though, if it's related to the collision detection, please don't report it, since that can't be improved before I've released Ultimate 3D 2.1 :) .

Eanbro
car didn't explode

Well, why should it. Have been watching too many action movies, haven't you :D ?

Eanbro
the car mechanics were unrealistic (car was more agile at higher velocities, in real life, this is inverse),

Well, if you have the tires turned at a constant degree, the car turns faster if you drive faster, doesn't it? Other then that the car collisions are kept basic intentionally. It's not worth spending weeks on developing good car physics, if it's for only 15 seconds of driving.

Eanbro
the space-time portals didn't work, just made the screen completely empty with random colors flashing, I could walk through some parts of the map.

This is probably something wrong with the post screen shader. Does your PC support shader model 1.4? And could you please post a screenshot of this?

wingedwolf
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Wow, awesome! "Downloading"
The portals looks awesome! Now the only thing that i need, i guess is a proper physics engine...

Bami
Member Avatar
Guess the character, win a prize
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I was a bit disappointed at the performance, but it's still game maker >_>.
The door to the outside is a bit unnoticeable, it blends in a bit too much.

Other then that, a large indoor scene (really spacy, not like the car thing) is missing.

It's pretty good though.
Here are the thrill seekers, corrupt and immoral.
Posted Image

Eansis
Member Avatar
ghost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sorry, I didn't really read the entire topic, so I'm guessing you only want to showcase what U3d can do by itself (eg. no external DLL's like DreamSpace.) Ah well, at least that gives me more time to finish it.

As for the car physics, I do not mean you have to spend 10 weeks developing MS Flight Simulator 2009 quality physics, just a little bit of tweaking should be enough. And regardless of whether or not I have been watching too many action movies, you have been watching too many ghost movies if you think it is alright for a solid matter to pass through, well, solid matter. :lol:

And, I might post a screenshot (my PC supports shader 1.4 (btw, have a Radeon 9250 ATI GPU), but until then, just think of the entire screen as a solid color that changes every step.
VOTE FOR BUDDY ROEMER HE'S A STRAIGHTFORWARD, DOWN TO EARTH AMERICAN GUY WHO ISN'T PART OF THE BIGBROTHER CONSPIRACY

Til'c

Things will not calm down Daniel Jackson. They will infact calm up.

LaserLemon
Member Avatar
Sir
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Going to download it tomorrow.

Listening to what Bami said I had an idea, i'll PM you the details Dr. Best if your willing to hear me out.

Nice work in any way Dr. Best! :)
Posted Image

Formerly known as FaTaL_N00B.

Andrew75
Member Avatar
Andrew75
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey nice demo ,, i know its not finished and all ,and i can see u guys work verry hard on it. but i have a few things id like to point out.
anyways im runing 2 Nvidia Geforce ultras the best versions from XFX.
and a Intel Quad core QX9650 3.0 GHZ overclocked and water cooled to 4.0 ghz
DDR 3 ram at 1866 MHZ
and i still get about 35- 50 FPS on the tree area,
The frame rate is the same with and without Level of detail option turned on.
does the level od detail really matter im wondering?

i usally keep all the settings on the cards at defalts,
but all the settings in the demos options are set to maxed out.
Anyways i have not put teh cards into SLI mode yet for this demo,

even Crisis performs much better than the tree area and it has much more details and shaders.

hey anyways im not trying to bash the demo , dont get me wrong, but im wondering what could be causeing this. im sure its a combonation of alot of things.
Posted Image
(SONIC CD REMIX)
check out my vids
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=tuxmask75
Check out our projects vids
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=AXSXProject

LaserLemon
Member Avatar
Sir
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's a combination of pretty much 2 things consisting out of 4 words and a number. Game Maker and DirectX 8.1, I know Dr. Best isn't planning on building u3d on DirectX 9.0 but that'll improve the tree area especially by 100%. :)
Posted Image

Formerly known as FaTaL_N00B.

Andrew75
Member Avatar
Andrew75
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ahh makes since, what are others getting in teh tree area im wondering ?

Posted Image
(SONIC CD REMIX)
check out my vids
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=tuxmask75
Check out our projects vids
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=AXSXProject

Bami
Member Avatar
Guess the character, win a prize
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
FaTaL_N00B
Jan 17 2008, 07:42 PM
but that'll improve the tree area especially by 100%. :)

Why would it?
Performance difference between dx8 and dx9 isn't that big...
Here are the thrill seekers, corrupt and immoral.
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply