Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing the Ultimate 3D Community as a guest. This means that you can only read posts, but can not create posts or topics by yourself. To be able to post you need to register. Then you can participate in the community active and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you are already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Ultimate 3D 2.1 final has been released; Some bug fixes and minor new features
Topic Started: Jun 11 2008, 07:05 PM (5,496 Views)
Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Another memory leak has been fixed and the collision response mechanism has been made a bit more failsafe. The official downloads include the new dll (which does not differ from the one posted here) since 18th of June 2008.

It turned out that the version of Ultimate 3D, which has been uploaded yesterday, contained three new bugs. Those have been fixed now and all downloads have been uploaded again. If you downloaded Ultimate 3D before this update, which has been performed on 12th of June around 9:00 PM (GMT+1), please download the DLL again.

Hi everybody,

today I have released Ultimate 3D 2.1 final. This version has quite many bug fixes, it supports arbitrary character sets and it has some small new features. The update process is really simple this time, so everybody should switch to it. This way you can take advantage of the bug fixes and the features, which are listed below. The following downloads for the Fire and Water Demo, the Tech Demo, the SDK, the Model Viewer, the Game Maker extension package, the collision example and the Blender export plugin have been updated. The export plugin contains just some minor improvements and bug fixes.

Fixed bugs:

• CheckSweptEllipsoidIntersection(...) and AttemptMoveToPosition(...) failed sometimes, if non-uniform scaling was used (not the same values for all scaling parameters). This has been fixed now. Thanks to MysteriXYZ for the bug report.
  • CheckSweptEllipsoidIntersection(...) and AttemptMoveToPosition(...) do not cause memory leaks anymore. Thanks to MysteriXYZ for the bug report.
  • Three bugs in the *.x file loader have been fixed: Multiple meshes can be attached to a single bone without getting extreme scalings, negative scalings can be used without getting wrong rotations and meshes do not get duplicated anymore. Thanks to Bami for the bug report.
  • Milkshape model files can have rotations for the root bone now without getting wrong results. Thanks to Eanbro for the bug report.
  • GetTerrainHeightAtPos(...) works correctly for points at the border of the terrain now. Thanks to Harkathmaker for the bug report.
  • StartPoseInterpolation(...) always uses the shortest way now (has an effect especially for *.an8 files). Thanks to saijee for suggesting this.
  • The terrain renderer does not cause crashes for terrains which are not quadratic anymore. Thanks to maenny for the bug report.
  • CreateTerrainDecal() does not cause crashes, if it is used for points at the bottom right border of a terrain anymore. Thanks to Harkathmaker for the bug report.

New features:
Ultimate 3D 2.1 final does not have many new features, but one of them is quite important. Ultimate 3D 2.1 final supports arbitrary ASCII character sets. This way you can have e.g. Russian characters or special characters like the German , , and now. Other than that you can save terrain height maps to files now (using SaveTerrainHeightMap(...)) and there are some new math functions:

• CopyVector(...) creates a copy of a vector and saves it to a given output vector.
  • NormalizeVector(...) brings the length of a vector to one by scaling it.
  • TransformVectorEx(...) can be used to apply only some components of a transformation to a vector.

Hope you like the new release,
with friendly regards,
Dr. Best
Edited by Dr. Best, Jun 18 2008, 05:08 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Rixeno
Member Avatar
Teo-Carliss
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Awesome! That's all I can say :P ... oh yeah, and...

GO :U3D: :cow:
Report spam the nanosecond you see it.
Ninjas are everywhere, for all you know there are eleven behind you right now, including me...
Offline Profile Goto Top

harkathmaker
Member Avatar
Persistent Enquirer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes! Now all the great new features can be used safe of crashes! :thumb_up:

edit: I just found a bug, presumably related to the new font system... the character "%" no longer shows up correctly. It appears as a string of digits instead. :sad:
Edited by harkathmaker, Jun 12 2008, 02:52 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Electricity
Chaos vs. Cosmos
[ *  *  *  * ]
Nicely done Dr. Best!
:U3D: ROCKS!!! :music:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
harkathmaker
Jun 12 2008, 02:13 AM
I just found a bug, presumably related to the new font system... the character "%" no longer shows up correctly. It appears as a string of digits instead. :sad:
Thanks for reporting this. I have found the cause of this and I will probably upload corrected downloads soon. Though I will not do this right now, since I am up to some more serious problem currently. For some currently unknown reason the performance of the Tech Demo is significantly lower with the new version. I am currently trying to find the cause of this problem. Once I have found and fixed it I will upload corrected versions of all downloads.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Eansis
Member Avatar
ghost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I had a dream last night of this occurence :)

(This is not a falsehood)
Edited by Eansis, Jun 12 2008, 06:56 PM.
VOTE FOR BUDDY ROEMER HE'S A STRAIGHTFORWARD, DOWN TO EARTH AMERICAN GUY WHO ISN'T PART OF THE BIGBROTHER CONSPIRACY

Til'c

Things will not calm down Daniel Jackson. They will infact calm up.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Electricity
Chaos vs. Cosmos
[ *  *  *  * ]
While playing the Tech Demo (which i dl'ed from the site today) i experienced following:

Increased lag.
Missing Particles.
And i drove the car through a wall :O
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
@ Eanbro
Hehe. That is interesting, because I never dreamed of Ultimate 3D (at least I did not remember it, if I did).

@ Electricity
These are the bugs I have mentioned in my previous post.

I have found the cause of these bugs now. In Ultimate 3D 2.1 final I am using a new method to initialize objects with default values. For particle systems I forgot to initialize the gravity emitters with default values. For this reason all of them had random and in most cases very strong gravities set up and where at distant positions. Since their gravities were not set to zero by default, 32 gravity emitters effected all particles in every step. This takes a lot of computing time and this is the reason why there is this strong lag. I have fixed this now. In a couple of minutes I will reupload everything with the corrected dll. It will contain three bug fixes:

• "%" characters will not cause problems, if drawn with DrawText(...) or Draw3DText(...) anymore.
  • Particle systems will behave correctly and will not lead to strong performance drops anymore.
  • For Milkshape and Anim8or model files bones will not take the wrong direction for rotations anymore. This bug resulted from the improvement of StartPoseInterpolation(...). I have implemented this improvement in a different way now, which does not lead to new bugs.

I'm sorry that I overlooked these things when testing Ultimate 3D 2.1 final. Once the corrected downloads are uploaded I will bump this topic and edit some posts.

Edit: The corrected downloads are available now. The only thing changed is the dll. If you do not want to redownload the downloads completely you can find the fixed DLL here. This way you can also avoid problems with downloads being still in your cache and being not really redownloaded ;) .
Edited by Dr. Best, Jun 12 2008, 09:00 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Eansis
Member Avatar
ghost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dr. Best
Jun 12 2008, 07:45 PM
@ Eanbro
Hehe. That is interesting, because I never dreamed of Ultimate 3D (at least I did not remember it, if I did).

@ Electricity
These are the bugs I have mentioned in my previous post.

I have found the cause of these bugs now. In Ultimate 3D 2.1 final I am using a new method to initialize objects with default values. For particle systems I forgot to initialize the gravity emitters with default values. For this reason all of them had random and in most cases very strong gravities set up and where at distant positions. Since their gravities were not set to zero by default, 32 gravity emitters effected all particles in every step. This takes a lot of computing time and this is the reason why there is this strong lag. I have fixed this now. In a couple of minutes I will reupload everything with the corrected dll. It will contain three bug fixes:

• "%" characters will not cause problems, if drawn with DrawText(...) or Draw3DText(...) anymore.
  • Particle systems will behave correctly and will not lead to strong performance drops anymore.
  • For Milkshape and Anim8or model files bones will not take the wrong direction for rotations anymore. This bug resulted from the improvement of StartPoseInterpolation(...). I have implemented this improvement in a different way now, which does not lead to new bugs.

I'm sorry that I overlooked these things when testing Ultimate 3D 2.1 final. Once the corrected downloads are uploaded I will bump this topic and edit some posts.
can't wait! :yahoo:
VOTE FOR BUDDY ROEMER HE'S A STRAIGHTFORWARD, DOWN TO EARTH AMERICAN GUY WHO ISN'T PART OF THE BIGBROTHER CONSPIRACY

Til'c

Offline Profile Goto Top

Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The corrected downloads (for more information see top of the page) are available now. The only thing changed is the dll. If you do not want to redownload the downloads completely you can find the fixed DLL here. This way you can also avoid problems with downloads being still in your cache and being not really redownloaded ;) .
Offline Profile Goto Top

Eansis
Member Avatar
ghost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dr. Best
Jun 12 2008, 09:01 PM
The corrected downloads (for more information see top of the page) are available now. The only thing changed is the dll. If you do not want to redownload the downloads completely you can find the fixed DLL here. This way you can also avoid problems with downloads being still in your cache and being not really redownloaded ;) .
many thanks :)

Til'c

Offline Profile Goto Top

Electricity
Chaos vs. Cosmos
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks doc! :U3D: :music:
Offline Profile Goto Top

MysteriXYZ
Member Avatar
Master Matrix Masher
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dr. Best
Looks like you'll have to do some more reuploading soon, I'm afraid: the memory leak caused by CheckSweptEllipsoidIntersection(...) still remains.

As a quick test, do the following in any GM file of the SDK:
  • set the cube primitive to solid;
  • add "repeat (100) instance_create(0,0,cube);" to the Create Event of any other object, e.g. the polygon primitive;
  • add "CheckSweptEllipsoidIntersection(all,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,0);" to the Step Event of that same object.

Now watch your memory consumption... see what I mean ;) ?

This was checked with the latest DLL - and I've downloaded it correctly.

EDIT: after more testing, I find that there are still problems with non-uniformly scaling and rotating the swept ellipsoid also... If you want, I can send you a modified version of the Collision Example where you can clearly see this for yourself.

Sorry for the bad news, but it's Friday 13th, after all :ph43r: !
Looking forward to the Final final version :P .

Thank you for the new math functions, by the way ^_^ . But may I ask why NormalizeVector(...) takes the same vector as input AND output :huh: ? It's not consistent with other functions that change a vector, and it would've been more efficient to allow the normalized result to be stored in a different vector, since the alternative is to first copy the input vector and then normalize that copy, which is a bit slower.
Edited by MysteriXYZ, Jun 13 2008, 12:04 PM.
U3D is like candy; after extensive consumption, it's Best to brush.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Eansis
Member Avatar
ghost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MysteriXYZ
Jun 13 2008, 11:23 AM
Dr. Best
Looks like you'll have to do some more reuploading soon, I'm afraid: the memory leak caused by CheckSweptEllipsoidIntersection(...) still remains.

As a quick test, do the following in any GM file of the SDK:
  • set the cube primitive to solid;
  • add "repeat (100) instance_create(0,0,cube);" to the Create Event of any other object, e.g. the polygon primitive;
  • add "CheckSweptEllipsoidIntersection(all,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,0);" to the Step Event of that same object.

Now watch your memory consumption... see what I mean ;) ?

This was checked with the latest DLL - and I've downloaded it correctly.

EDIT: after more testing, I find that there are still problems with non-uniformly scaling and rotating the swept ellipsoid also... If you want, I can send you a modified version of the Collision Example where you can clearly see this for yourself.

Looking forward to the Final final version :P .

Thank you for the new math functions, by the way ^_^ . But may I ask why NormalizeVector(...) takes the same vector as input AND output :huh: ? It's not consistent with other functions that change a vector, and it would've been more efficient to allow the normalized result to be stored in a different vector, since the alternative is to first copy the input vector and then normalize that copy, which is a bit slower.
I totally forgot about the collision function bugs, thanks for testing them :)
Edited by Eansis, Jun 13 2008, 02:27 PM.

Til'c

Offline Profile Goto Top

Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MysteriXYZ

the memory leak caused by CheckSweptEllipsoidIntersection(...) still remains.

Well, a memory leak remains ^_^ . I fixed two quite small memory leaks for Ultimate 3D 2.1 final and marked this bug as fixed then. But the memory leak, which you are talking about is in fact a lot bigger. I did not notice it, because I did not do extra checking for primitive objects. For those CheckSweptEllipsoidIntersection(...) creates a copy of the vertex data. And I forgot to release this copy. This is a really big memory leak. There will be another updated version.

MysteriXYZ

after more testing, I find that there are still problems with non-uniformly scaling and rotating the swept ellipsoid also... If you want, I can send you a modified version of the Collision Example where you can clearly see this for yourself.

Although I could produce some problems, which you may refer to, I'd appreciate, if you would send me a modified version like this. Just to make sure that I have fixed the right bug this time ;) .

MysteriXYZ

Actually the day was and is quite nice :D .

MysteriXYZ

From my experience it barely ever happens that you need the unnormalized and the normalized version of a vector. This is why the function is designed like this.

I should have made an RC release or something like this again. Basically the two bugs, which still remain in the new version, were not the result of a single mistake, but of multiple mistakes. During the development of Ultimate 3D 2.1 final I did not find all mistakes, but found only those, which had an effect in the context I tested the bug in.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Announcements · Next Topic »
Locked Topic