Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing the Ultimate 3D Community as a guest. This means that you can only read posts, but can not create posts or topics by yourself. To be able to post you need to register. Then you can participate in the community active and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you are already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
need advise in learning c++; don't know what to study now
Topic Started: Jul 14 2009, 10:34 PM (730 Views)
sanek-x107
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, I have got a problem.
At the time I am learning c++. I read a book about it, and, of cource, understood it.
Then It become boring for me to not to use the STL, and I learned strings.h, vector.h, list.h and map.h.
The question is: what should I study now? Gimme an advise, please.
Also, another question: if I practice in writing simple programs, what program should I write? (Program using classes - already written)
Thanks.
Its my webpage about my company.

Posted Image U3d is the best!!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is in the wrong forum, I moved it.

What you should read next depends on where you want to get. You can do lots of different things with C++, what you need to learn depends on what you want to do. You may find this topic helpful.

sanek-x107
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
thank you very much.
so, you think that now I should train in using modules, yep?

Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If you have not done so, you should definitely do that. It is not that hard anyway, you just have to give up on some habits. Programming in clean OOP without creating headers and source files for every class gets messy very fast.

sanek-x107
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
understood, thank you very much!

DJ-Habana
C# King
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sanek-x107,
I learned C++ by watching videos from 3D Buzz, They teach you everything even the Basic of game programming also you can look for DirectX tutorials that I find very helpfull, I am almost fully of Game Maker just finnishing my last gm game then I am going to only use C++, Python and Unigen or Panda3D
Posted Image

Reikyrr
Forum God
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
DJ-Habana
Jan 22 2010, 10:21 PM
sanek-x107,
I learned C++ by watching videos from 3D Buzz, They teach you everything even the Basic of game programming also you can look for DirectX tutorials that I find very helpfull, I am almost fully of Game Maker just finnishing my last gm game then I am going to only use C++, Python and Unigen or Panda3D
How did you get unigen? last time I checked you've got to pay up quite good.
~Inspirational quote~

Gandalf20000
Member Avatar
Geek
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I used C++ For Dummies to learn some of my C++...

DJ-Habana
C# King
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah Unigen is quite expensive. well I never bought it my friend did I don't have that kind of money haha (I wish)
Posted Image

sumtaru
[ * ]
Hello, The easiest way to learn c++ is a book by E.Balagurusamy.
Also visit http://www.cppbasics.com

skarik
Member Avatar
kitten eating scum
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Forgive the bump. I'm fucking jealous that you all could learn it that fast.

I spent a year trying to learn C++, and failed. I spent another year, and failed. I spent another year, and failed. I spent another year, and figured it out a little bit. That was senior year of high school then.

It's been two years since then. Two college courses of programming later. I envy those who can learn so quickly. All those who tell me that I'm good, I'm not. I'm sitting there with about 30 C++ reference tabs open. There's a difference between being good and being fast. I can design systems, and create them fast, but there is no way they're good. For those who can learn the language in a year, you're so very lucky.
Blog|EHS

Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
skarik
Feb 14 2012, 09:41 AM
For those who can learn the language in a year, you're so very lucky.
Nobody can learn C++ in a year. You can learn the basics in one year to a point where you can do lots of things in a clean way using C++, but the language has so many subtleties that it takes very long to understand most of them. There is a lot of low-level stuff (e.g. understanding how linkers of different vendors work), there is the odd world of template meta programming, there is the STL and boost and there are lots of details in the language standard. C++ can surprise you for a long time. If you want to speed up the process after having learned the basics I recommend reading the books by Scott Meyers.

DJ-Habana
C# King
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dr. Best
Feb 14 2012, 11:19 AM
skarik
Nobody can learn C++ in a year. You can learn the basics in one year to a point where you can do lots of things in a clean way using C++, but the language has so many subtleties that it takes very long to understand most of them. There is a lot of low-level stuff (e.g. understanding how linkers of different vendors work), there is the odd world of template meta programming, there is the STL and boost and there are lots of details in the language standard. C++ can surprise you for a long time. If you want to speed up the process after having learned the basics I recommend reading the books by Scott Meyers.
agreed, I have been doing C++ for 2 years now, and everyday when I try to do something I learn something new, for example when I wanted to do OpenGL it was the first time I actually work with dynamic arrays and with reading from a textfile
Posted Image

Reikyrr
Forum God
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
DJ-Habana
Feb 16 2012, 07:30 PM
Dr. Best
skarik
agreed, I have been doing C++ for 2 years now, and everyday when I try to do something I learn something new, for example when I wanted to do OpenGL it was the first time I actually work with dynamic arrays and with reading from a textfile
This is like the 7th time I am re doing my game engine (I never actually finished any attempt of it tho)
My code is getting cleaner every time I re start it, I also like to work at different parts of the engine every time.
I am actually planning on re using some of the code of my previous attempt.
Which is a great thing by itself. Meaning that that piece of code works for me, and is actually clean enough to be re-useable.

I remember when I started I had to hard code 2d collisions. you could only have one level. And the ground was a plane which shifted its position in such a way the terrain looked infinite, actually now that I think of it, that was my 3th attempt XD, in the 6th attempt my code took an arrow to the knee and I learned how to use classes. And in my last attempt I was actually able to use Skarik's example of a framework and incorperate it into the engine. And now I am ready to go one step further :)
Edited by Reikyrr, Feb 17 2012, 01:33 AM.
~Inspirational quote~

Dr. Best
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Reikyrr
Feb 17 2012, 01:30 AM
DJ-Habana
Feb 16 2012, 07:30 PM
Dr. Best
skarik
This is like the 7th time I am re doing my game engine (I never actually finished any attempt of it tho)
My code is getting cleaner every time I re start it, I also like to work at different parts of the engine every time.
I am actually planning on re using some of the code of my previous attempt.
Which is a great thing by itself. Meaning that that piece of code works for me, and is actually clean enough to be re-useable.

I remember when I started I had to hard code 2d collisions. you could only have one level. And the ground was a plane which shifted its position in such a way the terrain looked infinite, actually now that I think of it, that was my 3th attempt XD, in the 6th attempt my code took an arrow to the knee and I learned how to use classes. And in my last attempt I was actually able to use Skarik's example of a framework and incorperate it into the engine. And now I am ready to go one step further :)
Sounds a lot like the things I've been going through during the development of Ultimate 3D 1.3 and Ultimate 3D 2.0.

Interestingly this sort of iterative development where you start over on some things all the time is still ongoing and that is not so unusual. However the amounts of code, which can be kept grow over time. For example most of the model loaders in the current U3D are still the same as in U3D 2.1.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Tutorials · Next Topic »
Add Reply