Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing the Ultimate 3D Community as a guest. This means that you can only read posts, but can not create posts or topics by yourself. To be able to post you need to register. Then you can participate in the community active and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you are already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
still stuck; billboards on 1 axis
Topic Started: Jul 9 2011, 11:00 PM (308 Views)
alexmach1
Member Avatar
Graphics addict
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
i still cant figure out how to get this effect. it is used in a lot of games, where there is a billboard object that only rotates on 1 axis to face the camera. in the video, the glowing dot is the camera, the planes are the billboards and the cylinders are the axis. how would i do this?
Attached to this post:
Attachments: test.avi (668.5 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sothh
Member Avatar
Shaman Of Time
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Without watching the video, can you not just use PointDirection and rotate the model to face the camera on the axis you wish?
“You can’t outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.”

Major Korgo Korgar
“Last of The Lancers” - AFC 32
(Andromeda Ascendant Record Database)

DmitriV
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Have you tried this: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Ultimate3D_community/topic/7259637/1/#post8037638
The minimap is actually a model wich is constantly rotated towards the camera...

Maybe itsn't exactly what you are looking for, but some pieces of coude could help you...
Edited by DmitriV, Jul 9 2011, 11:42 PM.
Newbie in U3D...

alexmach1
Member Avatar
Graphics addict
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sothh
Jul 9 2011, 11:11 PM
Without watching the video, can you not just use PointDirection and rotate the model to face the camera on the axis you wish?
i technically can, but the planes are rotated to a degree that if i did, they would look strange.

alexmach1
Member Avatar
Graphics addict
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
DmitriV
Jul 9 2011, 11:41 PM
Have you tried this: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Ultimate3D_community/topic/7259637/1/#post8037638
The minimap is actually a model wich is constantly rotated towards the camera...

Maybe itsn't exactly what you are looking for, but some pieces of coude could help you...
that just sets the model's rotation to the camera's rotation, but i want the objects to point at the camera, not rotate with it.

Sothh
Member Avatar
Shaman Of Time
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
alexmach1
Jul 10 2011, 12:09 AM
Sothh
Jul 9 2011, 11:11 PM
i technically can, but the planes are rotated to a degree that if i did, they would look strange.
Are you trying to use different images for different direction?

Simple change the image based upon the direction you get.

Ie. if direction <= 90 and direction >= 0 then image = image1

EDIT:

Watched the video, and I don't see the problem with my suggestion. I have used it before. Try it before you dis. :)
Edited by Sothh, Jul 10 2011, 12:27 AM.

Major Korgo Korgar

alexmach1
Member Avatar
Graphics addict
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Edit>find resource>PointDirection

PointDirection does not exist.

:P
and the fact that the actual function, point_direction only applies on a 2d plane and i need it to rotate along the z axis.
Edited by alexmach1, Jul 10 2011, 02:36 AM.

Sothh
Member Avatar
Shaman Of Time
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I have not touched GML in a very long time, so I do good to remember the name at all.

You can use it on any axis you wish.

Major Korgo Korgar

alexmach1
Member Avatar
Graphics addict
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
the difference between the point function and what i am trying to get at is the axis rotx,roty, and rotz are indefinate. im trying to create a custom axis between 2 points and rotate it between those.

sprotz
[ *  * ]
alexmach1
Jul 10 2011, 06:29 AM
the difference between the point function and what i am trying to get at is the axis rotx,roty, and rotz are indefinate. im trying to create a custom axis between 2 points and rotate it between those.
* "definite"

« Previous Topic · Questions about Ultimate 3D · Next Topic »
Add Reply