From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.
Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!
Thanks for 7 great years!
20 Questions about Vindolanda
1. What is Vindolanda?
2. Why were the Romans all the way up here?
3. So if Vindolanda is part of Hadrianís Wall, why is it a mile behind it?
4. Did Vindolanda keep functioning after the Wall was built?
5. Which Legion was stationed here?
6. Are the visible ruins from AD85 then?
7. Are the ruins outside the fort considered part of the fort?
8. So how many forts were built here?
9. Wow. Why so many forts?
10. Is that what makes Vindolanda so special?
11. So thereís as much as 20 feet of earlier forts buried in the ground below me?
12. OK. Why donít you give me the full rundown of the forts so I can get them straight.
13. Which of these periods do the tablets come from?
14. What makes the tablets so special?
15. Any chance Iíll find a tablet?
16. If I do find one, will I be able to read it?
17. At every other dig I see, people carefully trowel back the ground. Why do you guys tend to take out whole spadefuls at a time?
18. What else might I find?
19. What if I get to Vindolanda and the weather is lousy?
20. Can I keep something I find as a souvenir?
|1:11 AM Dec 9|
Hosted for free by ZetaBoards