Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Welcome to wedigvindolanda.com!
Topic Started: Aug 24 2006, 10:36 PM (5,100 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hello old friends, new friends, and friends-to-be! My name is Harry, and my wife Sam and I live in Maine, USA. (So apologies in advance for any Americanisms that you come across.) In my "real life" I copyedit and proofread computer science texts. But archaeology and history are in my blood. I've been volunteering at Vindolanda every summer since 2003, and hope to be doing so for years to come. I love the fort, the Wall, the region, and the people, and can't wait for each summer to arrive. (A pretty common sentiment among diggers, I know!)

This year there was a growing concensus that folks wanted a place online to stay in touch throughout the "off-season." So with that in mind, I've decided to set up this forum. This is my first foray, so I'm learning as I go. Hopefully in coming months I'll be able to polish any rough edges and make a site to be proud of. To begin, I wanted to create a space where volunteers, staff, and enthusiasts can chat, share pictures, discuss things light & heavy, and learn about goings-on. But in reality, this forum should be a place for every Vindolanda buff to enjoy. So if there's anything anyone likes, doesn't like, wishes was there, etc., please let me know!

Anyway, I look forward to staying in touch with old friends and meeting new ones. And I hope you all find this a fun and useful place.

- Harry
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Anthea
[ *  * ]
Hi Harry and Sam, have just logged on so will try the site out over the weekend - looks pretty good! Hope you're both OK. I'm looking forward to seeing you both next year. I'm back up at the Wall in a couple of weeks for a weekend of drinking to celebrate David, Hannah and my birthdays!! There will of course be some time for walking!
Speak soon
Anthea

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hello Anthea! Welcome to the Forum! It feels like the Twicey at around 4PM right now I know (well, minus Muttonchops). But hopefully it'll be a fun crowd here soon! Wish I could be a fly on the wall at the multiple-birthday bash. Post pictures... if you dare. :)

- Harry

Sophie
[ *  * ]
Hello Anthea, Harry, Sam, Sandy, Andy and everyone else who might take a look at this site....

Couldn't resist the invitation to join all you Founding members, EH work will just have to wait hehehe :D

Great to see this site up and running... good work Harry and Andy! I look forward to keeping in touch with everyone, reading more of Anthea's great excavation commentaries, looking forward to 2007 digging and viewing some great 'boooof' moments ;)

Already looking forward to excavations next summer

Soph x

Justin
[ *  * ]
Great site Harry - Nice job! Hi to everyone else too, I hope you are all well. Anthea sorry I didn't stop when I passed you on the bike the other weekend, by the time I realised it was actually you, I was way down the road. Anyway, I'll try and ratch a few pics out of the hard drive, including an absolute cracker of Anthea, :P and post them as soon as I can.

Justin

ericjacobson
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hi Harry and Everyone:

It was a great privilege and a wonderful learning experience to excavate at Vindolanda last year, and I hope to see y'all (there I go again) again in 2007, provided of course that Andrew and Justin don't throw up their hands in horror and ban me from even showing my face anywhere in central Northumberland.

I shall try not to be as manky as I was in 2006, at least.

Alex
Member Avatar
Com'on you irons!
[ *  * ]

Hello Everyone,

What a great idea harry setting up this forum....

I would just like to echo what eric said it was a great privilage and a wonderful learning experience last year and I JUST CAN NOT WAIT for the 07 season to start....

Hope everyone is well and with luck i might catch up with a few of you next summer...

Alex...

Felicity
[ *  * ]
OOOO Hello everyone! How exciting!

Well just to let everyone know I shall be digging at Vindolanda again this year, YAY what fun! at the end of June, and beginning of July :)

Am having lots of fun at Cambridge... and obviously enjoying all the academic stuff, though slightly disappointed that I won't be able to study Roman Britain stuff until next year :(

But there is lots of mention of Hadrian in my lectures at present: beard, wall and all! (We are actually studying the Second Sophistic, but I'm sure veyr few of you actually care about this, so I'll keep silent on the subject...)

Hope you are all well, and see you soon! (provided i can get accommodation at the Youth Hostel ... :s )

Lots of love,

Felicity XXX

Trudi
[ *  * ]
Hello, hope this works. All this computer trickery is a bit much for me. Should be digging again too as long as I can sort out why my form won't go. Technology is very troublesome.

Trudi

MBetz
[ *  * ]
Harry-
Great forum. Those of us braving the chill wintery conditions in April talked about the what if of a forum. You have made it happen! Oh and it was wintery in April. To a couple of Florida born, hot weather, diggers sleet is rarely seen! This year I'm thinking June would be more my style for weather.
Thanks again, Harry, and a big HOWDY to all the rest of the forum members.
Matt

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hello everybody! It's so great to see so many familiar names and new ones as well! Felicity, I can't wait to crowd the spoil heap again next year. ]8^) Trudi, well done on the technology bit. Boil any animal heads lately?? Matt, nice to meet you. I grew up in Orlando myself; the move to New England was definitely a shocker.

We were down in the teens last night here in Maine (for you Centigrade people that's about -10 on your scale). Why again did we move here?

Anyway, welcome all to the forum!

- Harry

archjsmith
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Wooo... really looking forward to 07 season. Going to be great to see everyone again!! :D

Kate 13
Member Avatar
Kate F
[ *  * ]
Hi everyone,
I have just discovered the forum. I am so glad it is up and running. Well done Harry for setting it up. I will be back at Vindolanda in 2007, last two weeks of May and can't wait to dig again. Nice to see some familiar names here.
Kate.
Here is my blog addy for anyone who wants to say hello:
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Fiona
[ *  * ]
Hi Harry & everyone else!

I've been watching the forum for a while (It's great Harry! :) ) and thought I should really register!

For those of you don't know me, I part of the Vindolanda team, based in the Museum with the pleasurable task of helping Andy process all of the excavation volunteer applications....so I probably know you all on paper!

For those who do know me...I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in 2007 - if not on site, then socialbly!

Really enjoying the forum.....

Fiona

bfmullins
[ *  * ]
Hello all! Sorry I've been MIA, didn't realize the forum was up and running yet. Harry, fantastic job, I truly admire your computer skills...and we all know that girls admire guys who have skills (for all the Napolean Dynamite fans out there). But really, I big thank you to everyone who worked on this, it's a nice way to keep in touch and see what's going on with everybody.

-Britt

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: