Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Roundhouses at Vindolanda, why?; Discussion of the circular huts Vindo
Topic Started: Sep 11 2006, 10:09 AM (619 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hello Andy! Nice way to kick off the site!

So as a rank amateur, lemme shoot some questions back to the field:

- Is the size of the huts consistent with similar buildings of the same era whose use is known?
- Is there any record of official Roman policy towards locals in this era?
- What kind, if any, of small finds are there in the huts?
- Does the quality of the huts, roads, & drains suggest talented military or haphazard locals?
- Is it certain that the huts date from the same time as the Severan activity? Or could they date to a period after the Antonine fort was razed and before any more building activity took place?
- Were there any vicus buildings standing at this time? i.e. - were these huts built because there was nothing else there? Or because what was there wasn't suitable?

Oh, the quandary!
- Harry
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Gad, always knew you were more than just a pretty face. I'm suddenly thinking of a good many two-point Pub Quiz questions.

- H

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
I was just watching a show on Romans and forts a few days ago (didn't write the name & am already fuzzy on the facts) that briefly went to Caerleon. Erm... I think it was Caerleon. Curse my addled brain! Anyway, near the walls they showed a line of 3 or 4 lovely little round stone foundations. Looked exactly like those at Vindolanda. The show didn't make a comment on what they were. (Being TV they likely would have gotten it wrong anyway.) But I thought it was striking that here they were, also popping up contemporary with and next to a Roman fort (legionary this time).

Wish I could remember more; it'd be neat to know if they were also Severan.

- Harry

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply