Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Stanegate milestones
Topic Started: Nov 6 2006, 11:24 PM (1,333 Views)
Vinovium Chris
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Interesting this

Ive been on my usual Mithraic evidence collating and ended up at Escomb church (Escomb church was built in part from stone taken from Binchester Fort) where there was supposed to have been a part of a Mithraic altar built into the wall.....I dont know about the Mithraic connection....but

within the church on a whitewashed stone :

BONO REI PVBLICAE NATO - exactly as your Vindolanda example.

Set on its side and located on the internal North wall, it is part of a window jamb (bottom left stone) of the more easterly Saxon window. .

This inscription was not noticed until June 1969 when a schoolboy from Lanchester pointed it out.

Dated to the reign of Constantine ??
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vinovium Chris
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
The church at Escomb is indeed interesting....you get the key from a nail at a local house (the details are on a placard at the locked church gates).

the church is a cross between a church and a museum...very informative and interesting..

of course if you were in the area during the day you could try a visit to Binchester Roman fort.....with its remains of a Roman Bath-house in a permanent protective building.

Chris
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Factoids & Trivia · Next Topic »
Add Reply