Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Geophizzzz
Topic Started: Nov 7 2006, 06:32 PM (311 Views)
MBetz
[ *  * ]
Has there been any geophysics done of the land surrounding Vindolanda? I know the Trust has purchased land at different times. Was the land bought based on magnetometry or GPR studies or was it more because the local landowners were willing to sell to the Trust? I imagine the local landowners may be hesitant to let a bunch of archaeologists onto their land and do any sort of research with the fear being that the government or such may deem the property a heritage site and force them to sell or not use the land. Is there a plan in the works to purchase more land for the Trust or is there enough land to keep the archaeology rolling for years to come?
A quick sidebar: Anyone know where to find some good reading on the past archaeology done on the Stanegate?
Thanks
Matt
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MBetz
[ *  * ]
Thanks Harry. I'll check into Bruce's book. I agree that there must be so much more to discover in the landscape around Vindolanda. Being a working fort and outpost for as long as it was there must be farmsteads and workshops and all sorts of structures dotting the landscape.
Matt

MBetz
[ *  * ]
Great stuff Andy. I have wondered how accurate the Ordnance Maps are when they say Stanegate with the dashed lines. It would be very interesting to know the exact course for as much as can be discovered with as little obtrusiveness to the farmers. I have thought that there must be indigenous sites all along or near the Stanegate. Discovery and excavation of some of those sites may help in discerning the exact nature of the roundhouses discovered within the fort platform at Vindolanda (building style, material types, etc.). To get a very tight picture of the Stanegate from Vindolanda west to Carvoran and its intersection with the Maiden Way is a project I would love to be a part of. Also the "missing" fort between Vindolanda and Corbridge would be a great sleuthing exercise!

Matt

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply