Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Stanegate
Topic Started: Dec 24 2006, 02:13 PM (1,310 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hey Matt. "Gate" is one of those weird ones. Can mean both the modern gate, or street/way/thoroughfare. Then throw in the wacky Northumbrian dialect... ;)

I think the Stanegate would have to have been a proper stone-laid street. I mean, it was at the edge of hostile lands, and it was -the- link between all those forts. I'm sure they needed a road that could handle fast & efficient troop traffic.

If that tablet was written in ~100 AD, the road was, what, 20-30 years old. And the Romans were building it to Mediterranean specs, with little experience of Northumbrian winters! Must have deteriorated something fierce in all that time! Kind of like Maine roads still do today. :lol:

- Harry
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hi David. Sorry, could you repeat that? I didn't quite catch you.

:D

Happy Saturnalia!

- A refined American cousin

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
And they say Northerners aren't a warm & welcoming lot! B)

- H

PS: Oh Matt, forgot to mention, the old "Guide to the Roman Wall" by Bruce et al has lots of tidbits on Stanegate digs. Again the research is now quite dated, and may have to be taken with a grain of salt. But at least it's a start. Don't know how old the most recent edition is. I've got an edition from 1963.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Any idea which phase of the Antonine fort the murals are from? If it's the early part, the visual is intriguing: It's been 30-40 years since an emperor has visited Britain; the bulk of the army has been moved a hundred miles north, leaving Vindolanda & the Stanegate kind of a backwater. If I'm the commander, I might feel a little bit freer about designing for taste rather than for doctrine.

- H

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
I'll check the till, or the jar of petty cash. I'm sure something could be arranged!

If only the Trust would take up my Adopt-a-Shoe proposition, you guys would be rolling in it!

Matt, you're coming up with some fantastic questions. Where are you finding about the tumuli, camps, etc.? Is it the Ordnance Survey maps online, Vindolanda reports, or something else fancy up your sleeve? I love those OS maps. I just realized that the cottage I stayed at this past summer ran very close to a Roman aqueduct system. Next time I'm over I'll spend an evening doing a little hunt for esoteric ruins.

- Harry

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Rock on Senor Goober. Sounds like a brilliant publication. I just Googled it, and came across the Society of Antiquaries in of Newcastle-upon-Tyne Web site: http://www.newcastle-antiquaries.org.uk/. They have the TOCs for a couple of the latest volumes. Great stuff!

Interestingly, they also note that Bruce's old "Handbook to the Roman Wall" has actually been updated & revised again. It's now the 14th edition, published 2006, ISBN-13: 978-0-901082-65-7; ISBN-10: 0-901082-65-1. I think I'm definitely going to pick up a copy. It'd be interesting to see all that's changed since the 1960s.

You've got a great idea re using metal detectors more for geophys than excavation. Hard to see anyone having a problem with that! Then again, the vagaries of the Scheduled Monuments laws are beyond a Yank like me.

- Harry

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
But they look fabulous with chrome rims, tinted windscreen, & neon underlighting.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Just ask Octavius, the guy from one of the tablets writing that he was delayed because he didn't want to risk injuring his animals on the bad roads.

I've always loved that one. What's the one thing all the archaeology shows drill into your head about the Romans? Their amazing roads. What's one of the first things that Robin & crew pull up from the gloop? A letter complaining about the cruddy roads. Priceless!

- Harry

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply