Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Areas of Excavation 2007
Topic Started: Feb 15 2007, 08:53 PM (488 Views)
Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Hi Matt,

No, no stanegate trenching this year, but it is in our plans to do so over the next 5 years of work. we will just have to see if those plans can be worked up to a state they can go forward.

best,

Andy
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
For the upcoming excavation season where will the digging take place? Andy, your group will be working in the north of the fort or in the extra-mural area near the bath house? Justin, will your team be expanding the area to the west of last season? How much of the area that was scraped of topsoil was excavated last season in your area, Justin? Some of the pictures show that most of the area was excavated beyond the removal of the topsoil. I'm wondering if I will be able to help track down the elusive Stanegate this season? I'm keen to get to grips with that field across the road to the north of the fort. That has got to have some great potential even beyond the magnetometry done a few years back.
Matt

Matt,

JB is going due south of the 2005 area of excavation. Tracing the line of his new forts ditch system amongst other things. I am droping down inside two/three large vicus buildings to the NW of the west gate of the last fort at Vindolanda. Here, we will be encountering Severan layers, then the timber buildings inside the central range of the big timber forts, followed at the bottom by period 1 and Antonine fort ditches. Also I will be having a trenchto the north of the NW cornern of the last stone fort, to prove one way or anther that the foundations of the Antonine fort go beyond the corner of the last stone fort, and to show where the Severan defences interact with the surviving (or not) Antonine fortifications / dicth systems/ roundhouses et al.

That just about cover it for this year :-)

Andy
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply