Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
1st week of excavations
Topic Started: Apr 7 2007, 08:30 AM (1,396 Views)
Nicola
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I've just recovered from my week of digging at Vindolanda. Considering that it was the first week in April, we had surprisingly good weather, although the Tuesday was a bit nippy and I think I did more moaning about the cold than I did excavating!

I was excavating at Andrew's site and Sam and I scraped away some gravel to reveal what Andrew reckoned might be a hearth, but apart from that we only managed to find some pottery sherds and a piece of glass. This was our third year digging and we've still not found a coin, unlike Fiona who managed to find two! I think I'm not going to allow her to come with us next year!!

Thought I'd put up a few pics for all you diggers still looking forward to your time away at Vindolanda this year, but it wont accept the file type, so I'll have to try and change them later and upload them. I think Fiona's got some better pictures of the site anyway, so hopefully she'll come on and upload hers.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

85fiona
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I was also scraping gravel back from one of the shop buildings (i think!) We found a lot of rubble in half of the building, it looked like a hole or sumthing had been filled in with rubble to level off the area. In the other half we found a possible antonine road surface.

We found a lot of pottery, glass and bones as well as 2 coins and part of a brooch, here a few pics for your viewing pleasure :D

85fiona
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Another pic
Attached to this post:
Attachments: vindolanda_1.jpg (97.07 KB)

Nicola
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Here's Sam and I's bit of trench.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: vindolanda_2.jpg (101.58 KB)

Nicola
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
And here's a bit of a wider view of the site, although I've not managed to get quite all of it in.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 6835794a4028603375b276512576l.jpg (87.86 KB)

85fiona
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Picture number 3
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 6835794a4027341443b210220091l.jpg (86.4 KB)

85fiona
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Another pic, everyone hard at work :P
Attached to this post:
Attachments: vindolanda_3.jpg (98.36 KB)

Kate 13
Member Avatar
Kate F
[ *  * ]
Thanks for whetting our appetites! Great pictures and the weather was amazing! Can't wait 'till 20th May now. Is anyone else going for the two weeks beginning 20th May?
Kate (who'll be arriving on her own)
;)

brypop
Member Avatar
Brypop
[ *  * ]
Looks like a good star to the season. Glad to hear that the weather was pretty good. Keeping my fingers crossed for 20th May. Will see you there, Kate, trowel in hand.
Bryan :D :lol:

Heather
[ *  * ]
Hello Nicola and Fiona

Good to see you're still alive after our week of toil and torment... No, I think we were very lucky weather wise, only one bad day.

Well, in my little area of the site, I had a few interesting finds. The clay colours show that a fire was present at some point, which matches with Nicola and Sam's possible hearth. Mind you, we spent so long removing gravel that I'm suprised we got anywhere at all! :P

We were lucky in the material finds, as I found numerous bits of pottery, with rims and bases, but no inscriptions! Hmph! I did find a coin though, which I was chuffed about (will put up a pic later on) and rusty nails, a brass (?)draw handle etc, so put those with Fiona's coins and Madelaine's animal teeth and we did very well!

More pics and info to come

Heather

Nicola
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Heather
Apr 9 2007, 06:44 AM

We were lucky in the material finds, as I found numerous bits of pottery, with rims and bases, but no inscriptions! Hmph! I did find a coin though, which I was chuffed about (will put up a pic later on) and rusty nails, a brass (?)draw handle etc, so put those with Fiona's coins and Madelaine's animal teeth and we did very well!

Rub it in why dontcha :P Heehee.

Yeah, you're right, we did not too bad on the finds front (well, apart from Sam and I! :P) considering all the gravel we all had to shift first of all!

I'm looking forward to seeing your coin pic!!

Sarah
[ *  * ]
Helloooo first week people! *waves*

I had an amazing time digging, even though I was only there as Heather's guardian. ;) I didn't find anywhere near as much stuff as her, but I did find a nice bit of decorated pot which I was quite proud of.

We'll get our photos up soon. Thanks for all of the ones you've alreay put up, even though most of them seem to contain Heather and not one contains me! :P

Where are Sam and Alan and Madeline? It would be nice to have the whole team here!

Anyway, nice to "speak" to you,

Sarah x

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
To the team of week one.

Thanks folks, great effort, never easy being in week one but things are going along nicely. Hope to see some or all of you at Friends evening in the summer. Best,

Andy

Vinovium Chris
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks to all the above, whetting the appetite...

oh well just one more week and I will join you...can't wait to get good and dirty again

Chris

Madeline
[ *  * ]
Hi, folks.

"Here we are, one weekend to go before the 1st of April and it is minus 4 degrees on site, and bright and sunny with a steady northern breeze "

This is what we were warned about but dfidn't happen too much! Though the first few days were a bit chilly and we did get some good frosts!!! Chilly on the bike!

Went back on Thusday 12th April to see what had happened since the 'Firsters' were there ..... Looked like much harder work shifting wet clay from the ditch under our gravel and rubble.

Justin's lot seemed to have found some good bits of pottery with animals on etc.

Still fantastic weather!

Good luck folks

Madeline

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2007 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: