Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Turf rampart just outside NW corner of S.F. II
Topic Started: May 19 2007, 02:11 PM (488 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Just read Matt's great synopsis of last week's dig. Loving it! Got me curious though. Matt, you said that you were outside the NW corner of the IV Gaul fort (Stone Fort II), and you found turf rampart but no SF I wall. And then it looked like SF I's wall was possibly used as foundation for the SF II wall. So it sounds like the turf rampart you guys found was actually -outside- SF I's wall. Is that right? So what would the rampart have been for? The Severan fort? Something else?

- Harry
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Brilliant pic Andy! That's a true beauty of a wall. Small wonder it was reused as a foundation. And thanks for the clarification of what's where. It's strange that the Gauls would shift SF II a few meters south of SF I's footprint. Surely it would have been easier to reuse SF I's north & south walls just as they did with the east & west? Maybe the Severan structures obscured SF I's north & south walls so much that the Gauls just couldn't find them? Or maybe there had been a collapse or some kind of instability that they knew about? Each find really does bring up a half-dozen new questions doesn't it.

Man, I love archaeology.

- Harry
Attached to this post:
Attachments: excavation_067.jpg (406.71 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply