Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Turf rampart just outside NW corner of S.F. II
Topic Started: May 19 2007, 02:11 PM (489 Views)
Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Hi Harry,

I am going to quickly answer this one on Matt's behalf. Basically, we now know that both the turf and timber, and the stone phases of the Antonine fort wall's go north of the present north wall of the last stone fort at Vindolanda. Matt and his team of Kate, Bryan and Pam as well as the fantastic crew of last week, Richard, Lydia et al have done a great job in this area. First they found the turf ramparts, so we fixed that as going north, then, this week, they went lower and located the stone remains of stone fort 1 (which is also an Antonine fortification). As the trench progresses north we will hopefully be able to finally lay this particular ghost to rest, and fix in the location of the northern most defences of the Antonine fort's. It does look likely that the stangate road (Medieval + version) may be set into the north ditches for the Antonine fort's, rather than following a 'Roman' route which is I believe is further to north. In the next couple of years and with the next SMC we propose to locate the stanegate road 'Roman Version' once and for all, but this is a great start.

More annon from Matt I am sure. Photo attached speaks a thousand words.

best,

Andy
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply