Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Pictures!!!
Topic Started: Aug 16 2007, 04:16 PM (2,063 Views)
Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
another picture, same side...
Attached to this post:
Attachments: how_low.jpg (402.29 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Water has sometimes been an issue this season. Infact, this year was the wettest in the UK since official records began. Not a good year to be digging a deep trench into a fort ditch system as it so happened.... Of course, we let the excavators out before the water got this high...at least that is how I remember it. :-)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: vindolandaflood1.jpg (231.37 KB)

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
3 water pumps later and we can get back into the trenches. A picture here of a fine young man getting his hands dirty.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: the_pump.jpg (430.32 KB)

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Here is why it was worth it. Clear stratigraphy on the the site showing the relationships between the material from the last three fort construction periods at Vindolanda. On the top, large extramural stone foundations for site 29 (bar, shop, house) large blocks to support an essentially timber superstructure. Below, a very different type of construction, the wall of a military workshop inside the Severan fort at Vindolanda. Beneath that, the black material which is oxygen free, anaerobic Antonine fort ditch material from Vindolanda.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: strat.jpg (49.29 KB)

MBetz
[ *  * ]
Great pictures you all. I guess I picked right this year by "doing my time" at the beginning of the season when it was beautiful and dry (mostly). I can't believe that shortly there will be no more digging until next year. The update posts have been great fun to read. Thanks again everyone.

Bryan: I am now working as an archaeologist for a company doing work in my hometown area of southwest Florida. Yes, 100 degree humid, mosquito infested days of shovel testing sand and muck. There has been some joy though as pottery has turned up along with bone. No stone structures or a fort wall to contend with where I am!
Matt

Duncan
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hi Matt, whats the origins of your artefacts, Spanish, Native American or other?

Duncan

MBetz
[ *  * ]
Duncan:
The pottery is Native American spanning a period from 500-700 AD. Some of it is desorated which helps those higher up work out the actual timeline. Yes I am just another human JCB at this job, too! Shell tools are turning up that have been brought from the Gulf coast which is about six miles from the area. The shells are turned into hammers, and drinking vessels, and even awls. But others like oyster and clam are discarded food shell. The finds keep me going in the hundred degree heat on black sandy soil. Some days I think I am going to melt away! No Spanish artefacts as far south as I am on the Gulf coast of Florida.
Matt

brypop
Member Avatar
Brypop
[ *  * ]
Sounds like fun Matt. The weather here in Bournemouth has been pretty hot and sticky and I have been digging roman wells, roman/Iron age graves and even neolithic houses. Will tell you more at a later date.
Would love to see any photos of the pots which you have been finding as I have a volume about american pottery styles and fabrics.
Speak to you all again soon
Bryan :rolleyes: B)

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Pictures of the last week on area A excavations. Next to the fort wall a rubble burm, and beyond that, beneath the rubble roadway outside the vicus workshops, the start of a large Antonine ditch, which produced c15 shoes a day, a couple of wooden combs and a huge amount of animal bone including two dogs, a goat, and over 16 complete or partial cattle skulls.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: last_excavation_2007_002.jpg (437.15 KB)

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
The second last team photo
Attached to this post:
Attachments: last_excavation_2007_003.jpg (591.79 KB)

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
The last team of 2007 for area A. Thanks to everyone for their help, support and super human effort this year.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: last_excavation_2007_001.jpg (359.49 KB)

laura the great
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
haha iv only just seen this andy, laura the great is a very suitin name!! i forgot to take a picture of that wall i spent days diggin up. lots of pics of drunkeness tho, thats tellin me somethin isnt it!!

otis
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Fantastic pictures!

« Previous Topic · 2007 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: