Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pictures!!!
Topic Started: Aug 16 2007, 04:16 PM (2,130 Views)
MBetz
[ *  * ]
Hey all you volunteers, where are the pictures of the dig from when you were there? How about a few shots of each area to see how they have developed in the last few weeks. Come on you second half volunteers, get crackin' on those pictures. And add in how the dig went for you. Did you find what you were looking for?! There has to be more writing tablets discovered in the last 6-8 weeks. How about any inscriptions or cool pottery decoration? Give a "Colonist" some love!
Matt
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MBetz
[ *  * ]
Thanks, Andy. I know its tough to get those volunteers to part with their prize pictures! That's great about the tablets. I can't wait to read the report and see what juicy bits the Romans left behind. Maybe one day there will be a Vindolanda soap opera or tv movie series!
Matt

MBetz
[ *  * ]
Thanks, David. Much appreciated. The well in your last picture, where was that within the larger Area B picture? Is it on the west edge near the stone and wire fence?
Thanks
Matt

MBetz
[ *  * ]
Great pictures you all. I guess I picked right this year by "doing my time" at the beginning of the season when it was beautiful and dry (mostly). I can't believe that shortly there will be no more digging until next year. The update posts have been great fun to read. Thanks again everyone.

Bryan: I am now working as an archaeologist for a company doing work in my hometown area of southwest Florida. Yes, 100 degree humid, mosquito infested days of shovel testing sand and muck. There has been some joy though as pottery has turned up along with bone. No stone structures or a fort wall to contend with where I am!
Matt

MBetz
[ *  * ]
Duncan:
The pottery is Native American spanning a period from 500-700 AD. Some of it is desorated which helps those higher up work out the actual timeline. Yes I am just another human JCB at this job, too! Shell tools are turning up that have been brought from the Gulf coast which is about six miles from the area. The shells are turned into hammers, and drinking vessels, and even awls. But others like oyster and clam are discarded food shell. The finds keep me going in the hundred degree heat on black sandy soil. Some days I think I am going to melt away! No Spanish artefacts as far south as I am on the Gulf coast of Florida.
Matt

« Previous Topic · 2007 · Next Topic »
Add Reply