Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Roman Wells?; What were they like?
Topic Started: Sep 13 2007, 10:29 AM (479 Views)
brypop
Member Avatar
Brypop
[ *  * ]
Hi everyone I have been working on a small excavation on a Roman/Iron Age site in Dorset and we have discovered a well-like structure. It had been filled with Stone, soil, bone and pottery after it went out of use. It is approx 1.6 m deep and 1.5 m in diameter. The walls are built of local limestone but the lower half has large upright stones. The base is again of limestone slabs, which may be the natural bedrock. There is no obvious source for the water which may have filled it as it is on top of a hill and does not penetrate the water table.
Has anyone encountered a similar construction? What were the wells like at Vindolanda?
I have attached a photograph
Bryan
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

brypop
Member Avatar
Brypop
[ *  * ]
Hi Sue and Matt nice to hear from you.
I will answer Sue first, the "well" is on the Isle of Purbeck not far from Swanage and there are a number of other features in the field, including a Roman barn and a couple of Iron Age roundhouses. These were excavated a number of years ago by Southampton University. Part of the barn structure is still exposed.
To answer Matt, I must say that we thought of that, but it is really too big for that purpose and there were only very few seeds found and these were inside two cow skulls. One would expect a lot more from a grain store.
We are of the opinion that it may have been a water storage tank, collecting rain and run-off water from the top of the hill. There may also have been some sort of channel running into it, at some stage of its use, as there is a large piece of pottery wedged between the stones, about half way up. The stones around it appear to have been placed there in a more haphazard way, as if filling a hole.
There were also some strange pieces of pottery found towards the bottom, they were base shards with holes drilled in them, some with 3 and some with 5.
One theory is that these may have been part of pots used to get the water from the well. The water would have entered the pot through the holes when it was lowered but when it was pulled out those holes would be covered and sealed by flat stones placed inside the pot, thus acting as a kind of valve.
What do you guys think?
B) Bryan

brypop
Member Avatar
Brypop
[ *  * ]
Thanks Andy. We may be going to re-think the dating as most of pot now appears to be iron age ( Durotrigian, forms.
I will keep you posted.
Bryan

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply