Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thoughts from 2007 season
Topic Started: Sep 17 2007, 02:21 PM (600 Views)
Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
2007 will be remembered by me for the sea of mud. It has been the quickest season I have ever experienced at Vindolanda, yet despite this we have learned a great deal about the site. The large timber building in trench B just keeps on going to the west, leaving us with tantalising traces of somethin that is now almost completely destroyed through Roman and post Roman activity. Not to forget the crazy ditch systems, those damn field drains (those of you who cut through one know what I'm talking about), and some very nice wells.

In trench A, well, we leaned that the extramural settlement was abandoned at some point in the mid 3rd century and then rebuilt. We also leaned that the placement of that vicus was not in the first phase of plans, as they had started to dig a fort ditch system thorugh the area that the vicus now sits on. To the north we proved once and for all that the Antonine forts went further than their counterparts, probably all three of them, and thus raising interesting questions about the line of the stanegate road.

The very north eastern corner of that wall is now consolidated for permanent display, so all of those who worked on that north wall trench, you have something to remind you of your hard work.

Speaking of all things Antonine, some 190 shoes were recovered from the Antonine fort dicthes, and 16 writing tablets. Of those, three are possible belters, but we will have to wait and see. So 2007 was a great year, and both Justin and I, Beth and Alex are grateful to you all for your help and support. As Justin has already mentioned on this site, we are here to facilitate the excavations and to support them as they continue, you, the wedigvindolanda crew are the Vindolanda excavators, and the site is for you.

stay posted for news on 2007 results as we get them and also more info on the coming 2008-2012 SMC.

best,

Andy
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Cheers Kate,

Looking forward to you looking in in October, the corner of the fort wall is consolodated and looking good. Good luck with the MA, and it will be great to have you in the trenches again with us next year.

best,

Andy
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · 2007 · Next Topic »
Add Reply