Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week One; Andy's Mob
Topic Started: Mar 29 2008, 07:51 AM (1,569 Views)
NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
It started at the Twicey, like this...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I had to drive it in countryside like this...
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 03___I_am_supposed_to_drive_this.jpg (70.3 KB)

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
fortunately the roads were like this...
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 05___and_this.jpg (80.62 KB)

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I failed to take a baseline photo-set so you will have to rely on Andy's promised post of his exploratory trench. Also I only took pix of the part of the trench I was working on which was the alleyway between the 2 granaries. However, by the end of day 1 Andy decided that the eastern-most granary was not a granary at all as the wall that he eventually managed to expose was not buttressed. This pic shows the progress we made in the alley - we exposed from the first buttress up to the second.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 06___but_the_roads_were_like_this__phew__.jpg (85.83 KB)

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Day 2: we dug a bit deeper and exposed a few more courses of masonry and also expanded to the west to get the full width of the granary wall.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 07___Start_day_2__N_S_.jpg (174.99 KB)

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Day 3: We widened our trench to incorporate the not-a-granary wall and progressed exposure of the granary wall.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 11___Start_day_3__N_S_.jpg (198.35 KB)

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Day 4: We dug down while Andy dug west to expose the granary floor. We took our level as the chamfer (MS Word spelling - we think champher in English but can anyone enlighten us?) on the wall - looks good.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 14___Start_day_4__N_S_.jpg (139.58 KB)

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Day 5: Rain - yuk. pot washing was followed by an early lunch followed by only 2 hours of digging before we had a tour of the lab and a peek at Justin's area. Only 2 hours means we did not achieve all that much but here is what the week 2 guys will be looking at tomorrow morning just after 10 am (if they remembered to put their time-pieces forward 1 hour!)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 17___Start_day_5__N_S_.jpg (143.04 KB)

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
And finally...my nicely exposed buttress. Come the 13th of April I shall see what the next 2 week's human JCBs achieve. (I have more photies but this 1 pic per post is a pain! Anyone wants them (about 20 in all) just ask and I will email them.)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 21___End_of_day_5__N_S_.jpg (142.05 KB)

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Wow!

These are brilliant! Talk about quick return-on-investment, no? And what an appetite-whetter. The bit of floor you've exposed also looks beautiful; nice to see it still there. Any sign yet of an underfloor ventilation system like at Corbridge?

And I love the chamfering! (Merriam-Webster online also shows "f" and not "ph", so that's where my money is.) I'd never seen that before in any of the granaries that are exposed along the Wall. Beautiful piece of work, that.

Thanks a ton, Nic, for the post and for kicking off the season here on the forum. Hope this is the start of many great things! But please, no more snow! Here in Maine we've just endured our 22nd snow/sleet/ice storm of the season yesterday, and more of the evil flakes are falling today. Curse them.

- Harry
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 19___End_of_day_5__2nd_buttress_.jpg (144.05 KB)

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Hi all team week one members.

Thank you all for your incredible efforts this past week in some truely challenging weather conditions. Despite this we achieved a great deal and learned a lot about the site in a short period of time.

1. we only seem to have one granary, the other building is impressive and at present remains a mystery, more to follow......... whats more, the other building has been demolished beofre the granary fell over its demolished remains.

2. the floor in the granary survived in patches and the underfloor is made up of columns in hypercaust style, thus far.

best,

Andy

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
more pics...

week one crew hard at work....the olnly way to stop from freezing on the spot.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: snow_1.jpg (198.02 KB)

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
a pain, but it does frame the site nicely.....
Attached to this post:
Attachments: snow_2.jpg (385.29 KB)

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
storm clouds gathering... but held off thankfully.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: snow_3.jpg (361.88 KB)

Kate 13
Member Avatar
Kate F
[ *  * ]
Fantastic Pics and update Nic and Andy, and even though it looks freezing you all made a great start to 2008. You have had more snow than us in Scotland! Hope it warms up for everyone soon, and there is nothing like a 'mystery building' to keep us interested. Don't solve all the mysteries by July though! Keep us guessing.
Kate.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: snow_4.jpg (331.45 KB)

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2008 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: