Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Old Shed
Topic Started: Apr 5 2008, 01:21 PM (1,731 Views)
Justin
[ *  * ]
Well i'm feeling a tad nostalgic here as this is the last week for the old excavation shed before it becomes its own funeral pyre on Monday.

I believe it was acquired from the 'Lion of Corbridge' pub in the late 70s early 80s and had previously functioned as staff accommodation there. (now there's a sobering thought for any of you who feel a complaint about your modern accommodation coming on!) It has had a number of functions over the years at Vindo and acted as the groundsman's shed when I first started working there. I have fond memories of cups of tea with Alan our old groundsman in there, all made with a kettle that should have been condemned a century or so ago. No sink or indoor tap in those days, you got the water from the stand-pipe outside!

It became the exacavation shed in about 1999 complete with fertilizer bags full of dirt to act as seating, and an old saw bench that gave you splinters in your hands as you ate your sarnies. A haven for wildlife of all sorts, I can think of at least 12 families of blue tits, robins, starlings and swallows that have been born there (and a good many mice who have died there!) ;)

As we take delivery of the new 'all singing all dancing' shed (which is far too inferior a term for it by the way) I can't help but feel a pang of regret for the old dear who has seen so many friendships made there, endless great conversations - some about history/archaeology and others far more inane.

However, by far my favourite memory was seeing a wren make her nest on the inside of one of the window frames in 2000. She hatched and raised no fewer than 14 chicks in that nest. (there wasn't a millimetre spare) flying in and out with worms and grubs right over the top of us as we took our tea breaks. Then best of all, the chicks flew from the nest for the first time one morning tea time. We had to gather them all up just to get them outside. Quite a moment, and one that I reckon could only take place on an excavation at Vindolanda!

So farewell to the old shed - easily replaced but never easily forgotten!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Wow, what a storied past. Who knew? Wish I'd seen some of the hatchings. Even so, I think I'll miss the old gal myself. I shall drink to her memory. Bonfire pictures??

brypop
Member Avatar
Brypop
[ *  * ]
Did the Romans have shed burials like the Vikings had ship burials? :D :lol: :D

brypop
Member Avatar
Brypop
[ *  * ]
It Gauls me to have to say goodbye to the old shed. It is so hard Severan links with the past. :D :lol: :D

Duncan
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Don't suppose the new accomodation comes with patio and patio heaters ;)
Edited by SacoHarry, Dec 23 2008, 09:21 AM.

MichaelH
[ *  * ]
The new SHED.
Can this wonderful structure really be called Ö a shed?.
Insulated, d. glazed, rural position, wonderful views, etc. I could live in it, but the old shed had a certain character and used look about it.
Finishing off work still in progress, the patio isnít finished Duncan, the heaters and sun loungers havenít arrived yet. :D Just as well because the weather is still perishing cold and wet. (19th Apr)
I name this, er shed??????

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Crikey! It's an Alpine Chalet! Woe to the first person who drags gloopy boots into its midst.

Andy, Michael's onto something--there needs to be a naming contest. I'm suddenly reminded of Richard Hammond in Top Gear: "I shall call it Oliver."
Attached to this post:
Attachments: shed_002__Medium_.jpg (86.71 KB)

Duncan
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Names - how about "Robin's Nest"

brypop
Member Avatar
Brypop
[ *  * ]
How about 'Birlianum' or 'Ceriali's Hunting Lodge' or 'Lepidina's Refuge'?

Duncan
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Or " Dundiggin"

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
That is a very impressive 'shed', but where is everyone going to sit to shelter from the rain whilst admiring the view?!
Does the double glazing make up for the fact that there is no jacuzzi?
I think a nice simple name ... like The Shed, for instance...
Not feeling very imaginative today, I'm afraid. is there a Latin word for shed? Must ask Jo!

MichaelH
[ *  * ]
The new Hospes Domus (guest house?; from my dictionary)
No gloopy boots in here Harry & ne clarts in heor either kidda. :ph43r:

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Whooaaaaa... A dedicated boot-free zone. That's.... that's just not archaeology!

Sian
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
:) I would like to throw in a pop culture reference here! Rex the Runt...

"The Magnifi-shed, nicknamed the Iceberg as 90% of it lies below the surface!" Is that what this is? Is there a secret underground SuperArchaeologist lair underneath?!

Looking forward to testing it out in July! :D

Bimpon007
[ *  * ]
Wow! Thats quite an awesome shed! Definitely worth coming back for! I only used the old shed for one day when I was there at the start of April, then it got ripped down! The new one looks far superior, i wish to grace it with copious amounts of mud from my boots!

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: