Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Comments requested on new post!
Topic Started: Jan 2 2009, 07:57 PM (837 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Happy New Year all!! Hope you're all well on the way to recovery. B)

So I've just posted a little batch of pics/background on the granaries found in '08. (Many thanks to Michael for those great pics!) I'm trying to post some background on recent excavations. That's something that seems really useful, both for new diggers & the veterans. My post is up in the new "Digger's Corner" section (here's the link).

I'd love feedback on it. If it's something that's coherent & works, I'm hoping to post more on the granaries, the barracks, and of course Area B too. And material from 07 and 06 (maybe earlier) too.

So if you've got a chance, let me know what you think. And don't be shy!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

brypop
Member Avatar
Brypop
[ *  * ]
Hi Harry I am very impressed. Keep up the good work.
I would also like to wish everyone A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR and HERES TO ANOTHER GOOD YEAR OF DIGGING.
Bryan :D

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I thought it provided a really helpful synopsis - the plans were really helpful, as being there in March it is quite easy to lose track of where I was digging in later photos when so much progress was made.

I think it could also give new (and potential new) diggers just enough of an insight to get them interested.

There is a bit of a difference in appearance between the photos shown and this one I'm attaching from March!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: DSCN1567.jpg (410.18 KB)

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
nicely done. I am sure you will include some info on the post roman use of the western granary, which is really the most interesting feature of the dig. And perhaps you could toss out a little info on what lies underneath the granaries, or at least the best guess.

Off topic, maybe you should have a world map showing the home bases for the Vindo volunteers. I know I am curious. I suppose a larger scale Britain would be needed too.

T.Wolter

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Thanks for the great input! And Sue, your picture is awesome. Wow, such humble beginnings. The human JCB crew is severely under-appreciated!

Badger, I've started on the western granary page. The pics & stories from the dig are amazing. I'm thrilled that WeDig was online and able to capture them. The fact that I can do this at all is thanks to all you guys and your posts.

Which brings up my dilemma. I haven't physically been to the site since summer '06. So I'm delving a bit toward arrogance in putting together the dig story. You guys were there. So I need a critical eye from you as all of these new sections go up. Help me make sure I'm getting 'em right. And don't be shy if I've blown it or overlooked something.

Also, I really love the idea of a world map with "pins" for volunteers' homes. I've seen similar things on other websites. I just might be able to do that here. What a hoot that would be!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Alright, finally got the info/pics for the western granary posted. Here's the link. Like I say, all reality-checks are welcome and encouraged.

paulh
[ *  * ]
Harry, you're a star

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Very nice indeed. These pix roughly correspond to when I was there in the Spring of 08. As to length of occupation, I am not sure just how much info the Professors want to let out, but there were some really intrguing Christian symbols found in the later bulding suggesting occupation long after the roman period. Like centuries after.

As to the map locating Vindo volunteers, there is just such a map at Twice Brewed Inn, long may their ale profitably flow, where guests can mark their point of origin. I was pleased to be their first lodger from Wisconsin!

Tim Wolter

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
OK, while 2008 Area B is coming together, I'm starting to go back to Area A 2007. I've managed to find some pretty good sequences of pics from two parts of this:

-- The northwestern edge of the old Stone Fort I (Antonine) wall
-- A vicus strip house just to the NW of the Stone Fort II western gate

Anybody remember if there were any other major areas excavated?

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Just revamped the Granary 1 and Granary 2 2008 excavation pages. Managed to discard the unnecessary forum-style bits and make them clean, straight Web pages. Hopefully this'll add to their value, and also give a good template as more of these pages go up. Take a look, and let me know what you think!

The '09 dig season is fast approaching. We're working hard behind the scenes now on a new range of pages that will hopefully get everybody's blood flowing as the season ramps up.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Another quick update. I know, seems like radio silence here. I promise there are things happening in the background. The '09 season opens in just over a month, and WeDig will celebrate by unveiling a couple new goodies of (hopeful!) use. Both to seasoned vets and site newbies. Stay tuned!

Also, still eagerly accepting photos, recollections, plans, whatever from Justin's '07 and '08 seasons. I want to be able to post recaps like I did with Andy's '08 granaries digs, but I don't have enough yet to do honour to them.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · News, Media, & Links · Next Topic »
Add Reply