Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Area B Team Photos
Topic Started: Mar 20 2009, 12:22 PM (3,496 Views)
Justin
[ *  * ]
Week 18.

Ok so I'm going to type nice and slowly today to try and avoid fraudian typos - Thanks for pointing that one out Tim, it's still amusing me now! :D

Anyway, week 18, and a really quite frustrating week to be honest. I think its fair to say we were all affected by water in our various areas, but given that they were really quite important areas it was made doubly frustrating! However, we did make big progress on the newly deturfed area and have managed to obliterate the system of Victorian field drains, which is always satisfying. There appears to have been a large cobbled surface in there (now there's a surprise for area B) which could be a roadway leading from our temple tombs inthe west field, from the wells and water tanks to the northwest, or a continuation of the road just to the south excavated earlier this summer. It may even be a junction for all three... lots to do.

Special mention must be given this week for the Catalan tenacity of our Spanish frined Alberto. He was going to find the edge of those damned cobbles if it killed him and it was great to see such determination for the job in hand.

Many thanks again to the excavation crew for cheerfully enduring such difficult working conditions. You made my life infinitely easier by you dedication!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Week_18.jpg (964.4 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Publius Hispanus
[ *  * ]
Dear Justin,

Thank you for your message, for the picture, for your nice words to my and all the team and for your support and niceness in all the excavation period, a big and amazing experience I would probably repeat next year. In spite of not having a big discovery during all this 2 weeks and fighting against a "cobbled road", I have very good memories and I learned a lot in several aspects. My determination and strong will also comes from my horoscop Capricorn and ascendant Virgo.

Thanks for all again and I wish you a lot of luck for the remaining weeks!. In the meantime, I will prepare my promised pictures CD for all of you.

Nice regards and see you soon!

Alberto

Justin
[ *  * ]
Week 19.

Wow, so the rain stopped and the sun shone for a whole week! :D Result was that we could finally clean to the bottom of the various ditches and see what they relate to. Looks like we now have a double Severan ditch on the west side of that compound and probably the main ditch to defend our new gate and rampart ?IV / V. All good stuff and that doesn't include the further revelation of the immensely fine cobbled road in the northern part of our patch. All in all I think you can say we had a very good week. So many thanks to the old Birkbeckians who worked like troopers all week and really pushed our knowledge of things forward. It was great to see you all again and I will look forward to seeing you for more fun and games next summer. Many thanks!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Week_19.jpg (927.74 KB)

Justin
[ *  * ]
Week 20.

Another decent week in the trenches with good progress. A really fine looking cobbled roadway, which for once linked in with previous findings quite nicely. The weather spoiled the final day, but overall it was a good week. Thanks to everyone digging for all your hard work and patience in making such a good job of cleaning the cobbles.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Week_20.jpg (931.64 KB)

Justin
[ *  * ]
Week 21.

Despite the best efforts of the Northumbrian climate to disrupt our efforts, we managed to do a great deal this week. We finally found the east edge of the major roadway running NW through the vicus, which means it is now likely to be the same one that ran between the wells and water tanks and the industrial workshops found a few years ago. Not content with that, we also revealed that the road has had not one, not two, but three resurfacings meaning it must have been at least heavily used and quite possibly long lived. This week's crew were brilliant to work with, and I suppose I have to cave in to the fact that women are better multi-taskers than us men as the dig crew showed a remarkable abiltiy to dig rapidy and cleanly, but also host all sorts of good conversations at the same time. I don't reckon I can do all of that together....... Thank you all very much indeed ladies and hope to see you next year.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Week_21.jpg (961.4 KB)

Justin
[ *  * ]
Week 24.

Cracking week weather wise, is it really Sept? More cobbles of the main street we have been working on for some time and the hint of a later Roman building on top it at some stage as well. All very interesting. Many thanks to the volunteers of week 24, another solid week with great results. Special congrats to Nigel who ended a 9year hoodoo with a certain type of find this week too :-)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Week_24.jpg (946.08 KB)

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
A really good lookin' crew. Could it be that Nigel has found romance?
T.Wolter

Justin
[ *  * ]
Week 25.

The final week :o . Well a lot of finishing off and tidying up this week, although there were some revelations as well. The east side of the main Severan ditch emerged, as well as some amzing anaerobic period IV/V material with a boarded wall, wattle wall and the usual anaeorbic finds ranging from beetles, horse muck, moss, hazelnuts, fly pupae and the inevitable shoes.........

A big thank you to the final week's crew who endured all the chopping and changing of areas to make sure the various threads were sorted out and finished before the end of the season, very much appreciated indeed. All best wishes and good luck to Kirsty, Kathleen and Nikita in their new university courses and to Ashley for her GPR survey coursework.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Week_25.jpg (1.01 MB)

« Previous Topic · 2009 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: