Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Area B, June 2009
Topic Started: Jun 14 2009, 06:46 PM (535 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
David, these are fantastic pictures, and the descriptions are great! I've pulled them out to start a "June" thread to help keep the timelines separated.

For those getting their bearings, it looks like the trench is about here:

Posted Image

If you guys have found the western gate of Period II/III that's a big coup! But yeah, why would it be so high up? More late-Roman terracing/ground levelling at work?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
David, is this breakdown of the tower, rampart, walls, etc. accurate?

Posted Image

Green - Possible Period II/III western gate tower (c. AD 100)
Purple - Rampart base (Severan?) (c. AD 210)
Orange - Vicus wall (3rd C)
Yellow - Unidentified wall (c. ?)

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Brilliant pic & diagram! Fluid indeed. Would the Antonine bits be part of the "military annex"? Or did you stumble on some of the elusive early vicus?

Also, could that roadside ditch have been a surface aqueduct? I think I remember Justin finding similar waterchannels alongside roads to the NW.

« Previous Topic · 2009 · Next Topic »
Add Reply