Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Diggers, Ditches, and Debates - July 2009
Topic Started: Jul 15 2009, 01:41 PM (322 Views)
davefrye
[ *  * ]
Okay, if everything works right, there should be some photos attached to this message.

In the first, Packy (my son)(and fellow excavator last week) is with Justin. (Note to Justin: It appears that Packy has chosen to stand in some sort of depression in order to make you look taller. That's loyalty for you!).

The second shows Packy and I clearing off the top of a ditch which circled the late 2nd century (Severan era) fort and cut through part of the vicus. I'm pretty sure this was the first time I've ever cleaned a ditch. I would note two things about this photo: 1) the fact that it had to be compressed in order to be uploaded makes it much harder to see that I am inexplicably wearing the expression of a rodent of some kind; for this I am thankful. 2) The fact that the photo was taken fairly early in the week saves us from the embarrassment of revealing the finished product, which also called to mind rodents, in that our floor appeared to have been gnawed by rats, at least in comparison to those of our tidier neighbors. At any rate, it was one clean ditch when we were done.

DF
Attached to this post:
Attachments: packy_justin.jpg (31.16 KB)
Attachments: packy_and_I_cleaning_a_ditch.jpg (40.01 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

davefrye
[ *  * ]
More photos for your viewing enjoyment.

The first shows four hungry diggers at lunch: my son, Packy, and our friends Rob, Adrian, and John. Of particular note: John's neatly pressed, spotlessly clean button-down shirt, ever maintained in perfect estate, owing to his habit of habit of meticulously picking away the dirt one crumb at a time. Also, Adrian in the back corner, known variously as "the hero" and "the man with the perfect accent"--two appellations which he bestowed upon himself. Finally, Rob who was bested by John in the Great Debate over whether the word "leisurely" was merely an adjective or both an adjective and an adverb. The great thing about working alongside two Oxford boys is getting to hear that sort or thing argued. It's both, by the way.

The second photo shows Packy in the last half hour of our last day as we completed our second assignment (digging up mud in from a rectangle and dumping the mud in a pile) (although I suspect that something Gravely Important was probably just underfoot). You'll note how his technique has taken a Decided Turn for the Worse compared to the pic from our first day.

Okay, cheers, y'all,
DF
Attached to this post:
Attachments: packy_rob_adrian_john.jpg (30.44 KB)
Attachments: packy_at_end_of_week.jpg (39.13 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · 2009 · Next Topic »
Add Reply