Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What's This? (or, bad archeology from orbit)
Topic Started: Aug 3 2009, 01:26 AM (381 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
What a cool picture. I just checked Breeze's 2006 "Handbook to the Roman Wall." He mentions two marching camps along Bean Burn, a small east-west stream just out of your picture to the south. He says one was really tiny, probably a practice camp. But the other one was .7 acres, which fits nicely with your measurement. My money's on that.

My Q is, just what was a "marching camp"? Was it a one-use deal, where a regiment threw up a defensive ditch for an overnighter? Or was it a ditched enclosure that lasted for many months or years, to be used periodically when an army was passing through?

I'm assuming either way that it was built before the first fort at Vindolanda, but I don't know that either.

As with Jim, eagerly awaiting anyone who knows the answers!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Can't wait to see the new Google Earth pictures. I remember Brian saying the same thing. I think he wanted to establish a campground but couldn't, because the tent stakes could muck up the archaeology.

In re-reading Breeze, there's actually 5 of those camps in the area. There's the one in your photo; near it is the really tiny practice one that wasn't used to hold any troops (probably just for ditch practice according to Breeze); then farther west on modern Seatsides farm an enormous one 16+ acres in size; then north of that two more (one or both probably being the ones Brian wanted to put the campground on, if my sense of direction is right).

The place is just choc-a-bloc. Maybe this is part of why the Trust is more & more convinced there's a "Period 0" Agricolan fort there. Since the one at Carlisle is dated to about AD 72 or 73, it does make sense that there might be one in Vindolanda's vicinity of the same time period. Especially with all that crazy amount of activity so close-by.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply