Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Ninth Cohort Of Batavians
Topic Started: Feb 2 2010, 05:26 PM (1,031 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Multiple cohorts running around sharing the same name = not helpful to a modern historian!

I guess there's good evidence that it's "our" IX Batavians that made it to Dacia in 105? (The obvious hurry with which they left Vindolanda at the end of Period III is a big clue at least!) Inscriptions and the Notitia then have "IX Batavorum" residing in Raetia (modern southen Germany) til the end of the western Empire. Do we know for sure that this is still "ours"?

I found excerpts from recent books online mentioning Trajan's Column scenes 36-42. (A Google search using "IX Batavorum" and "Trajan's Column" was my best starting point.) Supposedly they show Germanic auxiliaries in native war-gear, consisting of wolf and bear pelts. Elsewhere there's a paper that shows auxiliaries on Trajan's Column using chainmail and round shields to distinguish them from legionaries. Sadly, as usual much of the information online is contradictory & it's hard to know who to trust.

I don't see anything that specifies attire/standards of the Ninth Batavians yet. But it's a start. From what I've seen and what Andy says, it also sounds like a hornet's nest of conflicting info!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Just happened to be rereading Tony Birley's "Garrison Life at Vindolanda" and found the Masclus passages (Tony says he also shows up as "Masculus" at least once). The Vindolanda tablet # is 1544. But I think that the tablets website uses a different numbering system -- just to make things simple! He does appear to be one of the Batavians, because he's writing to Cerialis as his commander when he's asking for the beer.

Hope that's of some help!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply