Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Ninth Cohort Of Batavians
Topic Started: Feb 2 2010, 05:26 PM (1,037 Views)
LilianJackson
[ *  * ]
Hi to all who have contributed. I read your thoughts with great interest. Being a rank beginner at this, and certainly having already fallen into the trap of thinking I knew a little bit about the 9th Batavians only to realise I don't at all, it is very reassuring to know that even folks with far more mud on their shoes and loads more hours reading, researching etc. are still learning and wondering, re-reading etc.
I had not realised there was a (possibly) known standard (the bronze horse) - that's very interesting and it would, indeed, link in with their having been reputed horsemen.

Can anyone remind me of which tablet it was in which Decurion Masclus requested more beer (or is it a figment of my imagination??) I can't spot it on the tablets website, though my eyes are pretty poor and I probably missed it. And was Masclus one of the Batavians?

Best regards,
Lilian
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LilianJackson
[ *  * ]
Harry,
many thanks!
Lilian
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply